AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a speaker setup for a small living room under $600. I have an old 2.1 Sony GX57ES receiver and am trying to decide between buying satellite speakers and a sub-woofer to use with it and eventually upgrading to a 5.1 receiver with more speakers or just going with a HTiB right off the bat.

The system will get a digital input from my computer (MythTV) and an input from my turntable. WAF and toddler will require all the speakers (except subwoofer) to be small and wall mounted.

Any recommendations? What manufacturers should I be looking at in that price range?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
With a $600 budget you can put together a seperate system that will far exceede the speakers and subwoofer that's included in htib packages. A good budget system with small speakers would be:

Onkyo 504 7.1 Receiver $159 from shoponkyo.com

Vedolyne CHT front row 5.1 Speaker system $199 from veoldyne.com

Bic H-100 Subwoofer around $200 from authorized ebay dealer acousticsounddesign

Total is $558 and it's free shipping on the receiver and I'm pretty sure speaker system also. The Bic sub would run around $30 shipping. Well within your budget and would blow a htib package away performance wise.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Smaller than the Veds is tuff, they are pretty small to start with. The Athena Micra package is a great system that includes a subwoofer and satellite speakers but it's been discontinued. You can still occationally find them on ebay or craigslist. That's about the best most cost effective small type speaker system I know of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried the 504 w/ the Velodynes? The 504 expects 8ohm speakers, but the Velodynes are "6 ohms (compatible with 8 ohm receivers)".

I can live w/o HDMI and upconversion, but I worry about using such a low price amp outside of spec.

{Then again, I use the $30 SI T-amp outside spec quite happily.}

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumenum /forum/post/0

Has anyone tried the 504 w/ the Velodynes? The 504 expects 8ohm speakers, but the Velodynes are "6 ohms (compatible with 8 ohm receivers)".

I can live w/o HDMI and upconversion, but I worry about using such a low price amp outside of spec.

{Then again, I use the $30 SI T-amp outside spec quite happily.}

I haven't personally tried the Veds with the 504 but many, many here have. It's one of the most recommened budget systems going. The 504 will handle them no problem. You can go to onkyo.com and click the downloads link at the top and get the manual for the 504, on page 66 the specks state that it can handle speakers with 6ohm loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.