AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a LG LHB535 HTIB receiver safely power 2 Polk Monitor70 speakers?

LG Receiver specs:

Total Output Power 1100W (4Ω, Peak)

Front 180W x 2 (4Ω, Peak)

Center 180W (4Ω, Peak)

Rear 180W x 2 (4Ω, Peak)

Subwoofer 200W (4Ω, Peak)

Monitor70 specs:

Power Rating: 20-275W

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm

Seeing as the M70's wattage hits 275 and the receiver is only putting out 180 to that channel I assume this could mean trouble... Also will the difference in impedance lead to potential damage? I'm just trying to figure out if I can salvage this receiver to use with new speakers or if I have to step up to a real Pioneer/Denon/Onkyo unit.

·
Premium Member
93,190 Posts
That HTIB is actually much weaker then you think ... likely putting out only about 30W/CH to 8 ohm speakers like M70's. The max power rating for the M70's should be ignored as well as the power output at average volume is generally < 5W/CH. HTIB speakers are designed specifically for the receiver they are boxed with. Your best option is to sell that set and buy a new AVR with the M70's. Determine what you need first and then start searching the threads ... check out the Denon 1611 or 1911 if you need 3D or last year's 1610 or 1910 if not. Call authorized vendor Electronics Expo for their best AVS price which is usually about 25% below MSRP.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Also note that it's not a problem to have speakers with higher power handling than an amp/receiver.

Generally, you don't need to worry about speaker power handling, unless it's a total mismatch with speakers with a very low power handling - e.g. speakers that can only handle 5 Watts with a 100 Watt amp.

It's ok to use 8 ohm speakers with almost anything. If you used 4 ohm speakers with a receiver not designed for them, the lower impedance could result in overheating - usually the receiver would shut down to protect itself.

HTIB units are often designed to be used with 4 ohm speakers for some reason. It's why the specs list 4 ohms. The HITB would put out less power to 8 ohms as jd explains above. The specs are optimistic even into 4 ohms. Power is given as peak, which means it could be given at some crazy high distortion, and only possible for a very short period of time. And the HITB can't put out that power to all channels at the same time. Total system power is more or less a lie (they just add up all the peak power amounts, in spite of the fact the HTIB can't put out rated power to all channels at the same time.)

JD's 30 Watts prediction / ch could actually be optimistic

You could try the Monitor speakers with the HITB. It will work, and it's not unsafe. Will it be somewhat limited in terms of how loud you can play without distortion when compared to a typical AVR? Possibly. It's a cheap HTIB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.