AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions from a home theater novice...

I recently purchased a 55" Samsung LCD TV (LN55B650) and am trying to figure out what to get for the home theater side of things (Blu-Ray & Surround Sound). I've looked at a few HTIB's, and they sound decent and the price was reasonable (around $500-$600). I've then looked at building a system, which would run around $1,000, and I'm not convinced the sound would be that much better. Does anyone have any thoughts?

My other question has to do with connect and running sound from my DirecTV receiver to a surround sound system. All the HTIB's I've looked at specifically say they don't have an HDMI input, which I assume means I couldn't run the sound from my DTV box through them. Does anyone know of an HTIB system that I could run my DTV sound through, or would I have to go the component route to do that? Or, does it even make sense to do that?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasetusk /forum/post/17035532

Two questions from a home theater novice...

I recently purchased a 55" Samsung LCD TV (LN55B650) and am trying to figure out what to get for the home theater side of things (Blu-Ray & Surround Sound). I've looked at a few HTIB's, and they sound decent and the price was reasonable (around $500-$600). I've then looked at building a system, which would run around $1,000, and I'm not convinced the sound would be that much better. Does anyone have any thoughts?

A good bookshelf speaker system will sound significantly better than the small satellite speakers you get with most HTiBs. Though, like you said, it costs more. It just depends on what you want. I think if you search around you can find some good suggestions that get it done for around $700...but I'm not sure if you're wanting to include a BD player in all this - if so then it's difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasetusk /forum/post/17035532

My other question has to do with connect and running sound from my DirecTV receiver to a surround sound system. All the HTIB's I've looked at specifically say they don't have an HDMI input, which I assume means I couldn't run the sound from my DTV box through them. Does anyone know of an HTIB system that I could run my DTV sound through, or would I have to go the component route to do that? Or, does it even make sense to do that?

Thank you!!!

Having enough connections is a problem with HTiBs. If you do decide on an HTiB, I'd urge you to at least consider one that comes with a receiver and not a slim all-in-one thing. There are lots of posts that ask if it's possible to upgrade the HTiB speakers but find out that it doesn't have enough power or uses proprietary connections.

Something like these would be better options if you later decided to upgrade later:
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...HT590BA/1.html

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...HT589BA/1.html

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The Onkyo HT-S9100THX has HDMI inputs as well as the latest DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD audio decoders for Blu-Ray. The speakers sound great but are bookshelve speaker size and are a bit bulky/heavy. Another pitfall is the reciever is not all that great but will do the job- all for under $1K US. However, it sounds great for small to medium small size rooms. And a reciever upgrade in the future would cure the short commings (video processing/upconversion, power etc) of the current reciever.

My pops has the Onkyo S990THX (previous version of the 9100 ( minus HD audio processing and HDMI, but with a better performing stock reciever) that I set up for him this week in his 9 x 12 x 16 tv room thats just one corner of a huge opened split level house. With a main seating/ listening area of 10 ft from the 46" flatscreen/sub, this system really hit hard for its size and has no problems filling sound for that area. However, compared to my seperates component system (Ascend Acoustics 340se 5.0, Epik Tower 15" 500Watt RMS subwoofer, Pioneer 1018 AHK reciver, Pioneer BD-51...so far $3K US) it does not have the headroom to go louder, cleaner and deeper. Though, I must admit that I was a bit jealous that his THX system sounded sooo good straight out of the box. So convenient, while it took me about a year to get most of the gear I wanted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

To clarify on the DTV connection piece of my question. What's the best way to connect that box to the surround sound speaker system? It won't come out of the DTV box in surround sound, will it? If not, then maybe the HDMI connection isn't that critical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.