AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any cheap (ie: under $300 or $400) home theatre in a box systems that allow you to use your own wires (ie: wires aren't permanently attached to the speakers)? I know my budget is quite low but I'm not a very fussy audio guy. Is the feature I'm looking available in my budget or is that something reserved for more expensive systems?

Thanks,

Harry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a dumb question. Suppose I already prewired my house for speakers, only to find the Panasonic Sc-PT660 speakers are already prewired. Is it possible to remove the built-in plugs on the end of my speakers and splice them with my own wires sticking out of the walls?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/14254858

any of the onkyo systems will let you do that.

And Yamaha. Any that use a receiver/speakers with speaker binding posts or clips will let you use a heavier gauge wire (up to a point. 10 gauge wire might be a bit too thick for some.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbashy /forum/post/14255330

Here's a dumb question. Suppose I already prewired my house for speakers, only to find the Panasonic Sc-PT660 speakers are already prewired. Is it possible to remove the built-in plugs on the end of my speakers and splice them with my own wires sticking out of the walls?

You might be able to cut the plugs and splice them into the prewired wire, but I'm not sure if it's that recommended.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sony uses a proprietary plug on the receiver end, but a typical open splice on the other end that will accept any speaker wire, so it could be made to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts