AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Sinds a week, i have a nice HTPC. XBMC is installed as the software to play all.
The Asrock board has een Spdif (TOS-link) optical out, wich i plug in to a Denon AVR 3300 receiver. HDMI goes to the screen.

When i had a Tivx mediaplayer or the Denon DVD player, the receiver recognize the signal from the Spdif and switch to the appropiate function (DTS, Stereo, 5.1 etc)
Also i could adjust the volume from the receiver with the Tivx.

Now,
With the HTPC, there is no switching or volume controlling.
Did i something wrong, or perhaps i have the wrong idea what Toslink does.

Can anyone set me on the right path, or has some ideas,
Many thanks !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volume can be adjusted (from the PC) for PCM, provided you do NOT use WASAPI streaming (aka exclusive mode). Volume can't be adjusted for bitstreamed formats (Dolby Digital, DTS).
Thx,

Last night (!) i find out. about the volume controle.
There must be something, so the receiver recognize the bitstream and switch to the right mode..

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are a few things you may have to check in order to send the correct signal through the toslink cable. In windows under the sound settings, make sure your speakers are set to 5.1 or whatever you have.
Also check to make sure that the playback device is set to spidif out on the asrock board.

In xbmc you will have to go to system tab and turn on the expert system settings. In the audio options you will need to again set the number of speakers and towards the bottom turn on the passthrough option and turn on the dolby digital and dts capable options.

Just remember you will only get dolby digital if the file you are playing in xbmc shows having that audio stream.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 15-16 year old AVR. It predates HDMI.
Precise !

Meanwhile i didn't sitting still.

I give it a thought and red a lot.
When using DirectSound in Kodi, the drivers of the Realtek soundboard is comming into play.
In Wasapi mode the drivers get sort of by passed.
So, i kicked the drivers :)

I installed Shark drivers, and guess what ? Suddenly, the old receiver reacts to the given signal.
It switches to the correct formats.

In the end, it was a driver issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts