AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at this set as a possible replacement for my current Sammy DLP 61". Have read many posts about issues with connecting a PC via the DVI input. 960x540 would be plenty for me, I believe. 1280x720 is a bit tough to read text at on my Sammy sitting 14' away...

Anyone connected at 960x540 to the Sony 60xbr800 have any input?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

·
Registered
210 Posts
hey marc. you are considering the sony 60xbr800? good for you. that's the tv i have. got a wonderful deal at the local b&m. it's a great tv.

from past posts and correspondence from owners of this tv...the graphics and video capabilities on the pc have been mixed. although i would say that the majority have had pleasant experiences with this tv and htpc.

btw...i ended ordering the dell 8300 with the 128mb nvidia geforce fx5200 car. should get it next week. can't wait.

how is yours working out?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imajazz, yeah, I'm considering the Sony. Don't like the fact that it only has 1 DVI input and that it seems DVI sources head through an analog conversion path, but... as long as the text is readable from a PC then it meets my criteria. I've gotta admit that 1280x720 on the Sammy is extremely sharp (though a hair small from 14' even at the largest desktop font settings). The 4600 is working out nicely, thanks. Not too much to my configuration, as I'll likely get an external HD tuner STB as opposed to putting a tuner card in the PC (ummm... did I mention I have no 4600 slots left? haha...). Still haven't played any DVDs through the PC to this point, but the windows desktop and applications setup really looks fabulous for me with the fx5200... 3d gaming might be a different story. As a matter of fact, I noticed last night that with the windows media 9 waves visualization for Media Player wave redraws seem to happen very slowly...

That extra slot (or slots if it comes with onboard audio) on the 8300 should serve you well.

rpgoldberg, {chuckle} thanks for the advice. Man, that Sammy is bright though... I might get a sunburn if I sit any closer... :) Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on 960x540 if you can get that out of your video card...

·
Registered
210 Posts
are you considering the current sony xbr800 model (gw2)? or the new gw3 models coming out?

i got mine through a place called soundcity.com. they are a sony authorized dealer. and will give you really good deal. if you are interested...let me know. i bought it at the soundcity retail store and got to meet the owner. nice guy. hooked me up with a really good deal on the 60xbr800.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
imajazz, yeah, I'm considering the Sony. Don't like the fact that it only has 1 DVI input and that it seems DVI sources head through an analog conversion path, but...

I cant find the discussion but i read here about 2 weeks ago of someone studying the "blueprints" of the new GWIII.

Apparently GWII will convert everything to analog,,,

Apparently the GWIII will convert everything to analog EXCEPT the DVI port which seems to now have a direct digital path. This is supported further by the new WEGA engine in the GWIII. Sony claims it eliminates as many digital-analog conversions as possible.

If its true thats one less headache for you,,,,

again, I cant find the link but I know i read it so take that as heresay:)

Most say Sonys analog conversion is top notch so you might not even notice much of a difference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info, compfan. Hmmm... that 70" GWIII looks mighty appealing...

At this point it looks like I'll likely be staying with my Sammy, but I don't rule out anything. Should be interesting to see what changes there are with connecting a PC via the DVI to the GWIII, considering the all digital path...

imajazz, thanks for the pointer to Soundcity. I'm locked into CC though. If I replace the Sammy then it'll be at CC...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by compfan
Apparently the GWIII will convert everything to analog EXCEPT the DVI port which seems to now have a direct digital path. This is supported further by the new WEGA engine in the GWIII. Sony claims it eliminates as many digital-analog conversions as possible.
As I recall, there was still one digital to analog conversion near the end of the diagram.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
I'm looking at this set as a possible replacement for my current Sammy DLP 61". Have read many posts about issues with connecting a PC via the DVI input. 960x540 would be plenty for me, I believe. 1280x720 is a bit tough to read text at on my Sammy sitting 14' away...

Anyone connected at 960x540 to the Sony 60xbr800 have any input?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
I have my GWII set up for 1280x720 and I sit about 13' from it and I have not problem reading the text. I am also connected via DVI through the Radeon 9500 Pro.

·
Registered
210 Posts
rgathright - that's good to hear. is that a native resolution with the card? or are you using powerstrip for that resolution?

i should be getting my pc on monday. can't wait to play with the dvi connection.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
As I recall, there was still one digital to analog conversion near the end of the diagram.
Thnx for the info dude:)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imajazz
almost forgot...what refresh rate do you have it set for? does it matter?
Do a search for this thread (UMR does GWII). It is in this section and it has a file that show what settings to use for what resolution. Now that you mentioned it I might be just using the Radeon 9500 for my resolution. I do not recall ever registering powerstrip. I can't check now being I am disconnecting everything because I am moving next week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.