- I intend fluidity
- Minimally silent​

The config:
Case: Cooler Master 110 Elite
PSU: SEASONIC G-360 360W 80PLUS GOLD
MB: Asrock B85M-ITX
RAM: KINGSTON PC3-12800 1600MHZ 4GB HYPERX FURY BLUE CL10 DDR3
CPU: Intel Pentium G3420
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900 *it's necessary?
HD: WD GREEN 3TB
SSD: Crucial MX100 128GB
FAN 120: Noiseblocker M12-S2
FAN 80: Noiseblocker MF8-S1 *it's necessary?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the stock Intel fan is fine to be honest so save your money on the Zalman.

But I would definitely add a dedicated GPU. The Intel video drivers have broken quantization range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the stock Intel fan is fine to be honest so save your money on the Zalman.

But I would definitely add a dedicated GPU. The Intel video drivers have broken quantization range.
Thanks

But for that maybe will be better an APU AMD, no? I will read about "the Intel video drivers have broken quantization range".

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks

But for that maybe will be better an APU AMD, no? I will read about "the Intel video drivers have broken quantization range".
An AMD APU would also definitely be very good. But how good will depend on what you want to do with it. Ie, how much upscaling headroom you want in MadVR for instance.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I think it's good as configured

If you are watching 1080p on a 1080p display then madvr is just not worth it

I don't use it at all on any of my htpcs, but the processor you chose (intel haswell) does proper 24p and 0-255

IMO you don't need anything else, especially for FHD to FHD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

The HTPC will be connected via hdmi to a Receiver (Pionner VSX-321) and the Receiver to a T.V (Panasonic TX-L32E5E), 1080p display.

The Receiver it's for the sound and the TV for the image.

In some occasions, 80% I will play 720p video.

In these conditions I will need the madVR (more new term for me)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think it's good as configured

If you are watching 1080p on a 1080p display then madvr is just not worth it

I don't use it at all on any of my htpcs, but the processor you chose (intel haswell) does proper 24p and 0-255

IMO you don't need anything else, especially for FHD to FHD
I hate to make it sound like I'm disagreeing with you constantly just to annoy you because that's not my intention. I just wanted to point out MadVR can be worth it even when you're projecting 1080p on 1080p. But it depends on your screen size. On my projector, when I blow up even a remux, MadVR makes it look a lot better and brings out details. Add in high quality dithering and you get a much better picture. So saying 1080p on 1080p MadVR doesn't matter, isn't true.

Thanks guys.

The HTPC will be connected via hdmi to a Receiver (Pionner VSX-321) and the Receiver to a T.V (Panasonic TX-L32E5E), 1080p display.

The Receiver it's for the sound and the TV for the image.

In some occasions, 80% I will play 720p video.

In these conditions I will need the madVR (more new term for me)?

Thanks.
Yes, MadVR will definitely improve the picture because you will be doing a lot of upscaling.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Yes, MadVR will definitely improve the picture because you will be doing a lot of upscaling.
It might improve the picture a noticeable amount, depending on on the screen and source material.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with MadVR, but I think it's virtues get exaggerated a bit on here.

The difference you'll actually notice on a full rip of a 720p movie upscaled to 1080p on a 32" display at normal viewing distances isn't going to make a huge difference for most people, especially those who are interested in watching a television show or movie, as opposed to those interested in watching a series of high resolution images displayed in rapid succession with accompanying audio track.

Reactions: Dark_Slayer

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Plus, madVR debanding can improve Blu-rays that have banding in the source (a lot of retail disks surprisingly do).

The difference you'll actually notice on a full rip of a 720p movie upscaled to 1080p on a 32" display at normal viewing distances isn't going to make a huge difference for most people
I agree, but there is a noticeable difference with 720p->1080p upscaling on my 60" tv.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Plus, madVR debanding can improve Blu-rays that have banding in the source (a lot of retail disks surprisingly do).

I agree, but there is a noticeable difference with 720p->1080p upscaling on my 60" tv.

The point I was trying to make (other than the OP has a 32" display, so most of the MadVR talk is moot) is that there seems to be a few schools of thought on media consumption around here. Some people are focused on tweaking and tinkering to make sure the image quality is as good as it can possibly be. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. Other's just want to get everything setup and get it working with image quality that is great (but not necessarily the super-duper-uber-best) and they are fine with that, as the point to media consumption for them is what's happening on the screen, not how sharp it is. Nothing wrong with that either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well to each his own. As I said before, we'll agree to disagree. Also, the bigger the screen size, the easier it is to spot the differences. On my 100" projector, it's quite easy to notice.

Furthermore, to simplify MadVR into plain degrees of sharpness is completely incorrect. There's ringing, debanding, quality dithering, noise reduction, and even it's own interpolation feature which makes a huge difference in judder when going from 23.967 -> 60hz.

Besides, to get a top tier picture out of MadVR doesn't take a whole lot of horsepower. As I've said many times, my GTS 450 can run Jinc 3 taps, anti-ringing, Option 2 dithering with swapped noise, and hiding of dither patterns. And a GTS 450 is a low end card by all means. It can be found on sale for

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Well to each his own. As I said before, we'll agree to disagree. Also, the bigger the screen size, the easier it is to spot the differences. On my 100" projector, it's quite easy to notice.
That's great... but we're not talking about a random screen size. This isn't about generalities. The OP has a 32" screen. So we're talking about a 32" screen. Not 60", not 100". 32" is the screen in question. So let's focus on that instead of trying to turn yet another thread into a commercial for MadVR.

Furthermore, to simplify MadVR into plain degrees of sharpness is completely incorrect. There's ringing, debanding, quality dithering, noise reduction, and even it's own interpolation feature which makes a huge difference in judder when going from 23.967 -> 60hz.
All fantastic features. None of which are necessary for a good movie/TV watching experience.

Besides, to get a top tier picture out of MadVR doesn't take a whole lot of horsepower. As I've said many times, my GTS 450 can run Jinc 3 taps, anti-ringing, Option 2 dithering with swapped noise, and hiding of dither patterns. And a GTS 450 is a low end card by all means. It can be found on sale for

·
Registered
141 Posts
Okay, all of your responses are "well, that's just your opinion, man". It's been well proven countless times that MadVR is clearly better. But whatever, feel free to misguide others.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Okay, all of your responses are "well, that's just your opinion, man". It's been well proven countless times that MadVR is clearly better. But whatever, feel free to misguide others.
"Better" is subjective, so yes, that is your opinion, man.

I'm not misguiding anyone. I'm presenting people with the facts and letting them make up their own mind on what's best for them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I hate to make it sound like I'm disagreeing with you constantly just to annoy you because that's not my intention. I just wanted to point out MadVR can be worth it even when you're projecting 1080p on 1080p. But it depends on your screen size. On my projector, when I blow up even a remux, MadVR makes it look a lot better and brings out details. Add in high quality dithering and you get a much better picture. So saying 1080p on 1080p MadVR doesn't matter, isn't true.
I watch most everything on a 70" hdtv that does proper 24p and full range 0-255. My htpc connected to it runs openelec on an intel ivy bridge celeron which for my intents and purposes does proper 24p and full range 0-255. It does not do exact 24p, and I do not care. I do not and will not notice a few dropped frames in the course of 15000 to 16000 frames that are produced in a single movie. I think anyone that argues otherwise is kidding themselves, but that is *my* opinion

I have a gaming htpc that can run madvr up to its highest levels, and I don't even have it installed. I don't think there is any argument that madvr doesn't produce better quality. It's quite clear that it is scientifically built for utmost quality at every level of the playback chain, and it's quite clear that guys like renethx and madshi have forgotten more about video playback than I may ever learn. However in the real world difference, when sitting down on the couch and watching 1080p on a 1080p screen . . . I *think* you are definitely kidding yourself if you believe there is some huge difference in output in mpchc with madvr vs other solutions. When upscaling I can easily see a difference in people's still shots when I compare them at full screen, but I honestly do not watch my media closely enough to see all of that on a daily basis.

Certainly not enough to lose all the benefits of a web remote, yatse remote, on screen gui, etc

On the other side of the argument . . . if you have a different watching habit, or enjoy tinkering, or can't stand the idea that you aren't using full bit depth in every single aspect of your video playback chain . . . then I can see how madvr will be worth it to you no matter what your screen size, resolution, or setup requirements

·
Registered
141 Posts
I watch most everything on a 70" hdtv that does proper 24p and full range 0-255. My htpc connected to it runs openelec on an intel ivy bridge celeron which for my intents and purposes does proper 24p and full range 0-255. It does not do exact 24p, and I do not care. I do not and will not notice a few dropped frames in the course of 15000 to 16000 frames that are produced in a single movie. I think anyone that argues otherwise is kidding themselves, but that is *my* opinion
Dropped frames are a large matter in the HTPC world. On average without proper output you'll get one an average every 2-3 minutes, but in many cases it's every 47 seconds. Just because you don't care for perfectly smooth playback doesn't mean it's not an important issue to the community as a whole.

If it didn't matter then Oppo would have been out of business a long time ago.

"Better" is subjective, so yes, that is your opinion, man.

I'm not misguiding anyone. I'm presenting people with the facts and letting them make up their own mind on what's best for them.
That's funny because you didn't mention any facts. And better is not subjective. One thing is clearly better than another. You can try to hide behind subjectivity and opinions all you want.

DXVA typically uses simple Bilinear rendering. So you get ringing, aliasing, banding, and an overall poorer picture. THAT'S A FACT. If you don't think there is a difference between that and Jinc then you might as well just turn up the sharpness setting on your display.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Dropped frames are a large matter in the HTPC world. On average without proper output you'll get one an average every 2-3 minutes, but in many cases it's every 47 seconds. Just because you don't care for perfectly smooth playback doesn't mean it's not an important issue to the community as a whole.

If it didn't matter then Oppo would have been out of business a long time ago.
That's funny, because you didn't mention any facts

Prophylactically purchasing an unnecessary dGPU is, of course, the result of people believing claims such as yours above however

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
That's funny because you didn't mention any facts. And better is not subjective. One thing is clearly better than another. You can try to hide behind subjectivity and opinions all you want.
"Better" is absolutely subjective. It's a matter of opinion. Just because a majority share the same opinion, does not make it any less of an opinion.

DXVA typically uses simple Bilinear rendering. So you get ringing, aliasing, banding, and an overall poorer picture. THAT'S A FACT. If you don't think there is a difference between that and Jinc then you might as well just turn up the sharpness setting on your display.
MadVR doesn't eliminate ringing, banding,, or anything else. It simply reduces the effect compared to a bilinear resize. No one is saying there isn't a difference between Bilinear and Jinc. What's being questioned is if that difference will result in a tangible difference on a given setup, and whether that tangible difference even matters to the person viewing.

I watch TV shows and movies. These generally involve people enacting certain situations, or in some cases competing against one another for various rewards. That is why I have a TV. If you want to watch frames, and look at pixels, that's your business not mine. But don't think that your viewing habits and preferences dictate how and what others should watch and prefer.

You can talk about how much better (subjectively) MadVR is on paper, and you'd be 100% correct. But that doesn't necessarily translate to a noticable difference on the screen. Not everyone is looking for pixel-perfect reproduction when they are watching their TV. Plenty of people want it to look "good" and as long as their isn't anything distractingly bad about the picture, they're perfectly content.

I'd venture a guess that if the OP was interested in watching super crisp high detailed video, he'd be using 1080p content in the first place instead of trying to use some Rube Goldberg contraption to try and make inferior source material look like something it isn't.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I watch TV shows and movies. These generally involve people enacting certain situations, or in some cases competing against one another for various rewards. That is why I have a TV. If you want to watch frames, and look at pixels, that's your business not mine.
In other words you watch reality tv. Makes perfect sense. Now I know exactly who I am dealing with.

And I think you're clueless. It does a lot more than "simply reduce the effects"

Debanding: Untouched vs MadVR
http://w.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/48701

EVR-CP (better than DXVA) vs MadVR
http://ww.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/65658

Bilinear vs Lanczos vs NNEDi3 64
http://madshi.net/madVR/lighthouse.png

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
In other words you watch reality tv. Makes perfect sense. Now I know exactly who I am dealing with.
The last reality show I watched was the first season of Survivor. Most of what I watch on TV is live sports and BBC Nature documentaries. But nice attempt at an ad hominem attack on your part though. Almost worked, didn't it?

And I think you're clueless. It does a lot more than "simply reduce the effects"

Debanding: Untouched vs MadVR
http://w.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/48701

EVR-CP (better than DXVA) vs MadVR
http://ww.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/65658

Bilinear vs Lanczos vs NNEDi3 64
http://madshi.net/madVR/lighthouse.png
It does exactly what I said it does. MadVR doesn't eliminate ringing, banding, or anything else. It reduces those, compared to a bilinear resize. If Oppo or anyone else had the technology to do perfect scaling on any source material without any artifacts whatsoever, Oppo stock would be worth more than Apple. The fact is that technology doesn't exist. What MadVR does is allow you to do is minimize (NOT eliminate) some of the artifacts that come from resizing an image.

You're trying to pass it off as some sort of panacea and it isn't. You're completely misrepresenting what it does, as well as how significant those differences might be.

Pointing to screenshots is pretty much meaningless when the discussion is about video which once again reaffirms my point that you seem less interested in watching movies and television, as you do, analyzing individual frames, and staring at pixels.

Perhaps you should go back to trolling the Dolby Atmos thread. They seem to enjoy your particular flavor of trolling more over there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts