AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like aztechjohn, I'm not sure that HTPC is the route I want to go, or the route I NEED to go. My only video sources are standard cable (where I'm at, cable's all I can get, and a poor cable feed at that) and progressive DVD. That's it. My projector will not be used for HDTV, game boxes, any PC based uses, etc.

So, any suggestions as to what my options are? Again, my sources are cable and progressive DVD only. My projector is a Sony G70.

·
Registered
333 Posts
an HTPC is a tool that has value beyond anything out there, but it does have a niche market. do what you like with your equipment, i think its a shame not to push a projector as good as a G70 to its full potential.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm sure your right. I haven't even received shipment of my projector yet, so at this point I know less than nothing.

But I imagine a HTPC set up requires, a keyboard and mouse be somewhere handy in your HT room (in my case my living room), time to boot up and open appropriate software, etc. For convenience sake, I would trade some performance not to have to go that process just to watch a little TV.

At least that's the approach I'm taking now. Later I may feel different.

I understand that this may not be an interesting subject. Can anyone direct me to a thread or web site that might be of help? That would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Sounds like you might want to check out a Holo3Dgraph htpc. Pretty straight forward setup for a htpc and acts much like a dedicated scaler with pull down menus. Should be an excellent match for that G70 and really offer superior performance for your dvd player. Input is limited to 480i but it'll outperform your progressive player by a wide margin.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Goodaye Phil

I use a progressive DVD player Philips 763sa and am very happy with the image quality I also use good quality component cable

I like the convenience of plug and play sitting 4 metres away the image is great Plus the wife has no probs running it also

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tedd, I searched the net to checked that out. That seems to be just what I'm looking for. Any downside?

Gatherer, don't you need a line doubler or scaler? (I'm not clear on this, do they do the same thing?)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Phil,

An interesting new development is coming to the HTPC. Like you, I don't really have a high resolution source available that will push my projector to it's full potential.

I was looking at the new JVC D-VHS vcr as a high definition playback source, but the small number of movies available for the format and problems that have recently come up with the deck make me think this may not be the way to go.

I saw some threads in the HTPC forum which mentioned that a medium speed P4 computer with a standard DVD player will be able to play back special hi-def encripted dvd's using Microsoft's new Windows Media Player 9

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247116

The first hi-def dvd (Terminator 2) goes on sale in June. Here are a couple of links with a little more info:

http://www.wininsider.com/news/comments.aspx?mid=4592

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...105392-1469440

Ray

·
Registered
838 Posts
Phil,

My Holo3D-based HTPC powers on and runs the Holo3D software on startup. All Holo3D configuration, including aspect ratios and resolution/refresh rate selection, is done with on-screen menus which are accessed by the included IR remote control (with USB receiver). I have no keyboard or mouse hooked up right now. It powers up when I hit the power button, and Windows XP shuts the machine down safely when I hit it again.

I have a Gyration wireless keyboard/mouse on order, but only for web access from the HTPC. It certainly isn't needed for the Holo3D solution.

- Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Smith

Gatherer, don't you need a line doubler or scaler? (I'm not clear on this, do they do the same thing?)
Phil

(good thing about the G70 dont need a transcoder)

Philips 763sa

Its a progressive DVDplayer Run the thing threw component and your laughing does PAL AND NTSC Progressive

also not a bad sound player either
http://www.superaudiocd.philips.com/...d=3597&lNodeId

also have a look on the forum there are heaps Of post on this player

No problems with fiddly computor no sound drop outs like HTPC

I will probably get bitten for saying that I have mates that just love twinking and simply love Htpc I am just lazy I suppose I had a htpc and found it laborious something near always went wrong that was before I got the G70

I like to just plonk myself down switch on the Pj/receiver insert a dvd in the player and away you go I have now got lazier got a pronto and with the push of one button Im in theatre heaven

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a Cinematrix modified DVD player connected to my G70, and it produces a picture as good as my HTPC (if not slightly better), and far more convenient.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Hi Phil. The only downside might be Powerstrip to be installed and a small comfort level with computers to install XP and set up the Radeon Catalyst drivers and install DX9. The H3D installation is straightforward itself, enough so that when I installed mine, I was left with a "that's it?" impression. Way too easy but you need follow the instructions to the letter.

One other downside is the pricing but there's a new H3D-II coming out and I expect there'll be H3Ds being sold off. (One in the private sales section right now at $300 USD. Absolute steal at that price and puts a H3D based htpc scaler on price parity with a software based player.) The upside to the price is this needs to be balanced with no need for a soundcard, keyboard, mouse, dvdrom or cdrom. You will need a keyboard, mouse and cdrom to setup the computer but these could be temporarily liberated from your desktop pc. I, like Chrispy have no keyboard or mouse attached and the Powerstrip and H3D software set to autoload upon bootup. Another upside to the H3D is the potenial to gain even more picture quality if desired later. Have the Radeon video card modified with a Mike Parker MP-1 mod and you could also have that dvd player of yours SDI modded to feed the H3D. At a friend's place, Petermwilson brought over his RP82 with SDI where it slightly bettered an expensive player costing 3X. Aweful lot of bang for the buck. Also nice that one can do these additions over time to ease the strain on the wallet if need be. Nice to know there's upgrade room even if you never take advantage of it...

And a last interesting advantage is the H3D computer needn't be be fast. Excellent results can be had with an older PIII system. While I used a Celeron 1.2 Ghz and a Tualatin 1.13 (underclocked to 800 or 850 Mhz), I'd bet a PIII-600 system would be fine. However, as Ray mentioned, the new high def Window's Media Player T2 Extreme Edition will require a fast P4 system. Might throw a wrinkle into my htpc setup where I wanted quiet and cool ruunning and the money was directed at the H3D, MP-1 and soon to return home, SDI modded RP82. I'll be trying this out on a new P4 2.8 desktop system I am assembling right now. It might just mess with my satisfaction level of my current configuration of my htpc....

A progressive dvd player on that Sony is wasting alot of it's potenial!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just to add to what Tedd said, my machine is based on an AMD XP2000+ CPU, but clocked down to 800MHz and undervolted to 1.325v. At these settings, it generates so little heat that I just need a CPU heatsink, but no CPU fan. This is all in a black anodized ATech Fabrication case, which looks just like another A/V component.

- Chris

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I have my htpc in an Antec 780B case with a custom milled aluminum faceplate done by Serge but with the H3D, one could use any ATX case and simply put the computer out of sight. A simple cable with a momentary contact button on one end mounted descretely at the equipment rack could power the htpc on and off. A second pair of leads to an LED would give idication of the computer's on/off state. Three advantages here, the htpc could be stuck in a closet out of sight and be nice and quiet, any cheap case will do and if AV Rack space is tight, this frees up a spot for something else.

I'd advise you Phil, to see if there's any H3D owners locally and see if you can get a look at it in action. We took my htpc over to Andy Lammer's place a few weeks back and let him hook it into his SX-21 D-ILA. Might want to check out his thread and his experience with it. Thread title is "SX-21 -> I like 1280 x 960 DVI".

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...32#post2159132

·
Registered
73 Posts
A good HTPC alternative is the Lumagen line of scalers. http://www.lumagen.com/

You can configure it for any number of output resolutions (480p to 1080p and everything inbetween) and it's easy to setup, has no fans, and is an excellent scaler for the money. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi,

You may want to try this, http://www.crtcinema.com/pd1000.html . It is basically an HTPC for the sole purpose of DVD playback. They even load it with the proper firmware for your specific projector. There will be an additional input and custom movie intro available very soon. It acts as a regular DVD player, but will get the most out of your G70. Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The ready built to your projector htpcs are an attractive option and offer a very high picture quality to cost ratio. But these don't appear to cover him scaling cable unless he wants to add an input card and set up Dscaler or perhaps the dealer does offer this as an option. The H3D htpc does have this covered as it is a very high quality input card (have yet to find one that betters it...) and there's no need for Dscaler.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Go for the Holo3d card. Minimal PC requirements (other than a video card) and Immersive is selling off the last of the cards at $325 a pop.

If you've only got standard definition sources (DVD, VHS, Satellite) you won't find a better scaler at any price. Period.

Go!

Charlie

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Sorry for turning this to a HTPC question, hope you don't mind.

I've been thinking of getting a H3D card and just use that and an external DVD player.

More or less making the HTPC a scaler.

Is the quality on the external DVD+H3D+Radeon 9700 equal to a DVD-ROM+Radeon 9700+PowerDVD or do you loose a lot going through that extra step ?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i to would be interested in the answer to that question..my advice though would be to try zoomplayer with sonic filters or theatertek...powerdvd really does not give the best picture.

brickie

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Probably but the more I use a HTPC the more I don't want it, in that fashion. Meaning I like the HTPC for it's price vs performance but it realy suck in userfriendliness.

E.g. take the remotecontrol part, you need a remote (not hard to find), get an IR receiver and then learn Girder.

I mean, it's very feature rich but I just want to hit play and that is it ;)

On the other hand I don't want to buy an external scaler for big bucks.

So if the difference isn't that big then that might be the solution I will go for.

BTW, the computer part is not a problem, I would consider myself as very knowledgeable about computers but still that is not what I want to mess with on my free time ;) (the stuff at work is enough)

Better go to the HTPC forum with these questions I guess.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.