AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about HD and HTPCs. My projector is not capable of HDTV natively. I can use scaler programs on an HTPC though. I know I can get an HD card (HiPix for instance) for the PC, but how would one pass through STB HD into the HTPC so it could be viewed on this projector.

I have DirecTV and would want a DirecTV tuner to get those HD channels and would need to pass them through the HTPC to scale correctly. I would be using VGA connections from the STB to the HTPC and then VGA over the existing connection to the projector (after being properly scaled).

Is this possible? If so, what products or techniques would I need to investigate.

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I am trying to figure out if this particular application lends itself to an HTPC properly or I should rely on an external scaler box (CS-1 for instance).

It would be nice to use an all in one type of unit like a well build HTPC, but I am worried I won't be able to get all of the features I am looking for. This one particularly worries me.

Thanks again,

Shawn

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
How is the CS-1 capable of scaling? Doe it accept Composite? At what resolution? The only card for PCs that we can afford ( if $850 is affordable)is the Holo3DGraph for inputing component, and that is limited to 480i.

Other possibility is to have the reciever modded for SDI (which is not possible on all HD Recievers), and is even higher in price.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I looked at the user manual pdf and it looks like it will input DVI, VGA, Component progressive, Component interlaced, composite and SVideo. I know of no PC solution that can do all this. Of course you are facing $1700-2000 for the CS1.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I am not trying to make this a thread vs. thread war hehe. I realize it is flexible in some ways and limited in others (try ramming a DVD player in there for instance) and pricey.

My original question is can you, with a HTPC solution, accept HDTV and pass it through with scaling (ala dScaler for instance) to a display device that otherwise wouldn't be able to handle the HDTV input?

I THINK I can do it with this device (I am checking with Focus), but I just wanted to know if there was hardware/software for an HTPC that could do it. If so that becomes a viable option for my needs.

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
239 Posts
Shawn,

At this time there is no way to scale analog component HD with an HTPC. There simply is no affordable card on the market that will accept the analog HD and allow you to scale it.

As for the CS-1, the only way you can scale HD with it is to use the DVI input. The analog RGB input will only allow pass-thru of analog HD. Also, the analog input on the CS-1 will not transcode, meaning that if you input component, you will pass thru component, and if you input RGB, you will pass thru RGB.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Casey,

I am still trying to figure all this out. I don't have the ideal proj so i am looking for ways to get the best display out of it. With the cost of some of these components I could just buy one of the newer projs that accept HD and are tuned to more HT applications, heh.

Thanks,

Shawn

0.5 Miles from Chicago ;^)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.