AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it has already been discussed (read a lot but havent found anything specifically concerning that yet) but here it is.

If I put a non-anamorphic dvd in my htpc is there actually a way to tell the DVD software to chop the top and bottom part of the picture (relatively to the aspect ratio of the movie) and stretch what is left to cover the whole screen? Therefore we would have all the resolution of an anamorphic dvd out of a non-anamorphic one (well I mean, all the resolution of the projector would be used for projecting a picture instead of "projecting" black bars).

Look at the image... as one image is worth a thousand word

note the image is just for reference, I think it was easyer to understand by putting the output on a 4x3 screen. But consider that the image will be "squeeze" by the projector, therefore in the right aspect ratio.

http://www.cam.org/~noans/aspectratio.gif

Thanks

Benoit

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

Not entirely sure what you are driving at; a 16:9 anamorphic movie viewed on a 4:3 screen with 4:3 projector settings should fill ~85% of the raster height, that is the most possible scan lines that can be drawn for that with the best resolution; you then want to compress that raster height until 16:9 is restored. A 2.35 movie is not as tall and may call for slightly more vertical size in the projector, making projectors with multiple set-up memories very useful to have. Those who would put a 16:9 movie in the middle 65% of the 4:3 raster are not getting the full quality available to them as some lines are being discarded.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I was refering more to the htpc side, so that it can scale my non-anamorphic 16x9 movie to appear like an anamorphic 16x9 movie

(remove the blacks bars -tob and bottom- then stretch the image vertically to use the whole screen pixels available as a 16x9 anamorphic dvd would do) therefore my 16x9 setup on my projector would be good for both anamorphic and non-anamorphic dvd.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think you need a program like YxY or Theatertek. The Theatertek DVD player has the YxY functionality built in and is one of the best I have found for scaling non anamorphic DVD's.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
I think you need a program like YxY or Theatertek. The Theatertek DVD player has the YxY functionality built in and is one of the best I have found for scaling non anamorphic DVD's.
Exactly. Simply download and use the (free) YXY program written by the forum's own Jim Ferguson (do a search on the 'net to find it).

When Andrew Chilvers wrote the TheaterTek DVD software player, he incorporated Jim's YxY program into the player itself.

IMHO TheaterTek's aspect ratio controller is miles easier to use. Kudo's for Jim for writing YxY though!

Kal

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Hey,

As of version 2.60, Zoomplayer has the capability to do this. Actually it has ability to handle all types of DVD aspect ratios (animophic, full screen, and non-animorphic widescreen) in whatever mannor you choose.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Therefore we would have all the resolution of an anamorphic dvd out of a non-anamorphic one
Not exactly. A 2.35 non-anamorphic dvd has 272 lines of resolution. You can stretch it with an htpc, squeeze it with a projector, and you still end up with 272 lines.

You do end up using more of the electron beam, which probably gives you a brighter picture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Work Permit, I meant the resolution on the projector, not from the source as we can not alter it :)

I havent made myself much clear in the first time, thanks for the update. Also I havent figured out exactly which part of the image would get improved which you lighten up in your post.

Thank you all for your comment, the different softwared and alternative will be of much help. I tried YXY and it was exacly what I needed. I may take a look at zoom player also as it will probably prove to be much easyer for other peope here to use.

Anyway, I hope to have everything set up as soon as possible. Ill try to have some pics here of the final results.

Thanks

Benoit

·
Registered
35 Posts
I´m probably missing something. I´m kind of new to all this (just recently got a CRT), but isn´t a solution to use Powerstrip to create a 16:9 resolution and use the projector to squeeze the image to the right proportions or is this the same as using YXY? I´m projecting the ´Powerstrip-way´ at the moment and I´m quite happy with the result.

Sam

The Man from Amsterdam

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be wrong as I have never actually used powerstrip yet. (I assume other member would correct me) but powerstrip is to have a custom resolution on your projector ex.: 1440x720

If you take a non-anamorphic dvd (the one where you always have the black bars at top and bottom no matter how you calibrate your DVD) even tough you are using power strip for this resolution, and your projector is setup as 16x9 you will still have the black bars at the top and bottom.

Using YXY you can take the image and stretch it verticall so that the black bars disapears and the image fill up all the resolution. Therefore all the resolution of the projector is used to project an image instead of the black bars at top and bottom.

Hope it helped

Benoit

·
Registered
594 Posts
Isn't the image distorted if you stretch it like that though? The width is the same but you're stretching it vertically to fill the screen........

I'm trying to get a good understanding myself as I'll be setting up my ECP shortly for a 16:9 screen and using an HTPC. I was going to compress the raster down and calibrate with AVIA or something. I was then going to use Powerstrip to set up a 16:9 desktop and use TT as the dvd player. Sound right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris,

you are absolutely right, the image get distorted (stretching vertically) by your computer, but it gets back to normal with the projector which would be set up in 16x9. The stretch that you do on the computer raise the amount of pixel used by the image, then the projector squeeze those pixel to form a perfect image. (right ratios)

Hope I been clean... What I say is oftenly clean only to me... therefore not of much use for anyone else :I

Benoit

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Could you not set up a custom resolution on the HTPC to stretch out non anamorphic DVD's and then squeeze them back down with the projector? I know that the resolution would stay the same as the original, but would you be using more of the raster by doing this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.