AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching components for my HTPC and have a couple of quick novice questions:

1. Will any Computer DVD output a Progressive Signal?

2. Can any Computer DVD output the DVD-Audio signal?

I am leaning towards the MyHD HD Receiver which will connect to my RPTV through 15 pin cable. Will MyHD allow the DVD to send a signal through its digital connection to the RPTV?

Thanks a bunch. I love this place!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, I'm not sure about #1. I believe the DVD player software will do that, but I'm not 100% sure.

However, if you have an HDTV, it's often better to not send a progressive signal since your TV will probably do a better job of interlacing the signal than the computer.

As for #2, I can give you a more definitive answer - yes. The Soundblaster Audigy2 series can be used in two ways. You can either use SPDIF in from your DVD player and out to a Dolby digital decoder (like a receiver). Or you can have the Audigy2 perform the Dolby decoding and output to the separate speakers straight from the sound card. It has separate outputs for center/front/right. You just need Y connectors. Take a look at their web site for more information.

I have heard on this forum that only the Creative Labs cards can handle DVD-Audio, by the way.

As for MyHD allowing DVD to be played through your digital connection (DVI?), the answer is not really. MyHD will not play any DVD in fullscreen because of legal concerns. Otherwise, you might want to record DVDs digitally to your hard drive, making perfect copies. This of course is silly with the advent of DVD burners, but I guess it makes the lawyers feel needed...

I have heard that you can actually patch the MyHD software to allow it to go fullscreen, but have no idea how. If I did, I would, since that would allow me to run all digital sound out from the MyHD card. As it is now, I run HDTV audio out with one cable from the MyHD card and DVD digital audio from the Audigy 2 card on another.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"However, if you have an HDTV, it's often better to not send a progressive signal since your TV will probably do a better job of interlacing the signal than the computer."

Not sure if I understand this one. I believe the idea is that a Progressive Scan DVD player can output a Progressive signal to an HDTV Ready TV. The HDTV then displays the signal in true progressive. Of course this all has to done with hi-band width connection, ie, Component or 15pin cables. If you send a regular signal, ie, Svideo or Component, then it will be interlaced and displayed as interlace... Am I missing something here?

Also, I sent you a private message, please check it out.

Thanks a bunch for the reply...

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
The answer is YES & NO on both questions. Depending on the hardware in your HTPC. The BEST solution is to get an: "X-CARD". It is made by sigma designs. It will not only hardware decode all DVDS & DIVX 3/4/5, it output then ALL in progressive via component. For the AUDIO it has a coax digital out. Do i hear DTS/DD, yep! (note : your receiever must be able to decode the signal if you plan to use that output. Best thing for a HTPC ever made. Peace.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, I don't even know what you are talking about when you say 15 pin cable. Do you mean the standard computer monitor cable (RGB)?

Regardless, perhaps you should start with what type of TV you have and what kind of inputs you have. Someone else may have a similar setup.

For me, I have a Samsung DLP which is a fully digital HDTV. It has a DVI input which was why I went with the MyHD card (the DVI daughtercard). The DLP has a chip which will make an interlaced signal progressive. If I had a progressive scan DVD player, it would actually degrade my signal since the DLP unit's ability to de-interlace is so far superior to the DVD player's. This may give you some idea where I was coming from with my comments. Basically, I don't want my computer to do the de-interlacing. You may...or may not depending on your TV and input capabilities.

I responded to your private message, though it seems I can probably only help you on the audio side...

·
Registered
151 Posts
[Progressive From PC

The answer is YES & NO on both questions. Depending on the hardware in your HTPC. The BEST solution is to get an: "X-CARD". It is made by sigma designs. It will not only hardware decode all DVDS & DIVX 3/4/5, it output then ALL in progressive via component. For the AUDIO it has a coax digital out. Do i hear DTS/DD, yep! (note : your receiever must be able to decode the signal if you plan to use that output. Best thing for a HTPC ever made. Peace.]

Well, personally, I think you gotta go DVI, but I'm a snob since I have an TV with a DVI input. (-;

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"For me, I have a Samsung DLP which is a fully digital HDTV. It has a DVI input which was why I went with the MyHD card (the DVI daughtercard). The DLP has a chip which will make an interlaced signal progressive. If I had a progressive scan DVD player, it would actually degrade my signal since the DLP unit's ability to de-interlace is so far superior to the DVD player's. This may give you some idea where I was coming from with my comments. Basically, I don't want my computer to do the de-interlacing. You may...or may not depending on your TV and input capabilities."

How are you sending an interlaced video to your DLP TV from a DVD over DVI?

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
The MyHD can play DVD's fullscreen very easily. You need to install and run DVD-Region Free (or any of the like programs) which bypasses MV. Very easy to use, set it up and forget about it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
The DLP has a chip which will make an interlaced signal progressive. If I had a progressive scan DVD player, it would actually degrade my signal since the DLP unit's ability to de-interlace is so far superior to the DVD player's.
You should try feeding the HDTV a native scan rate and resolution. Most people DO NOT want the internal scalers of the HDTV turned on; all processing should be done by the HTPC.

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerChris
I am researching components for my HTPC and have a couple of quick novice questions:

1. Will any Computer DVD output a Progressive Signal?

_______Yes. Contrary to the above post, the X-Card is NOT very highly regarded by most experienced HTPC users. The Radeon card series will produce the best DVD picture quality and TheaterTek, WinDVD, PowerDVD and/or Zoom Player (using 3rd party decoders) are the most widely used. You can also scale to high resolution interlaced like 1080i with the correct Catalyst drivers.

2. Can any Computer DVD output the DVD-Audio signal?

______Dependant on the sound card. As of today only the Audigy series of sounds cards can decode DVD-Audio multi-channel analog output, although you can playback the DD and/or DTS tracks via SP/DIF thru a DVD SW player.

I am leaning towards the MyHD HD Receiver which will connect to my RPTV through 15 pin cable. Will MyHD allow the DVD to send a signal through its digital connection to the RPTV?

_________MyHD does have a VGA passthru cable and you can switch between the desktop & MyHD. MyHD does not make a great DVD player, for example, you cant navigate DVD menus. The players listed above make for a much better DVD playback solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.