AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best settings/cables you are getting with your GW XBR please. I'm about to shove off to Fry's and get some cables. Does DVI give a significantly better image then S-Video? After reading through the DVI problems post I still haven't seen anyone get a native picture, what is the best you have found so far. Would you please post:

1. Which cable you found works the best.

2. Which software package and settings work the best. I would assume Powerstrip but maybe someone found something better?

3. General advice on settings and things to watch for.

I'm in search of the best possible picture for playing PC games so any input on what you have found to be the best so far would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rhuala

ps. I am looking at getting a 20' DVI cable, any issues with that length?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been experimenting with DVI on the GWXBR and will give you my take. First, DVI will give you a significantly better picture than s-video, s-video just doesn't carry enough picture information. If you don't do DVI, then the next best bet is a VGA->Component adapter, the RCA and Audio Authority adapters have been mentioned before. Apparently there is a problem with the Radeon component adapter dongle and playing DVDs, so you might want to stay away from that.

My attempts to get a GeForce4 working through DVI were pretty frustrating, jsrdlr is right about not being able to get over 540 lines of vertical resolution. The best I could muster was 1920x540. I put in a Radeon 7500 and achieved 1280x720, which looked good for DVD play, but had about 7% vertical overscan which made it a little difficult for normal computer work. Playing around with PowerStrip I was able to move the picture up so that the taskbar was mostly visible, but that chopped of the top part of the screen.

burble took a slightly different approach, going with a 1184x666 desktop using 1280x720 timings I believe. Here is a quote from an earlier post:

Quote:
PowerStrip timing parameters:

1184x666=1184,69,88,307,666,31,17,32,73764,336

Generic timing details for 1184x666:

HFP=69 HSW=88 HBP=307 kHz=45 VFP=31 VSW=17 VBP=32 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:

"1184x666" 73.764 1184 1253 1341 1648 666 697 714 746 +hsync +vsync

Note that this is a few clicks away from a freaky scan which may cause the top to curve to the right. I adjusted the vertical size around it until it went flat, then reset the vertical refresh to 60Hz.
That may give you reduced overscan, I haven't tried the settings myself yet. And yes, no one has been able to get a native resolution signal working yet.

I am using a Belkin DVI computer cable and it seems to work fine. I don't know if a 20' cable is going to be a problem, I think you are probably going to be OK if it is a decent quality cable. I am also using PowerStrip for adjustment.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, where is a good place to buy about a 20' long DVI cable? Been to CC, BB and GG none of them even carry DVI cables yet? Also, I've been reading that there are different ends for different situations DVI-I, DVI-D...etc. For connecting my Geforce 4 Ti4400 card to my GW XBR what ends do I need please. Thanks.

rhuala

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've never seen a 20' DVI cable. I know there is a limit on DVI before you have to go to something like a repeater.

There are also converters that take a DVI in, take it to CAT-5 and then back to DVI for extremely long distances (not necessary for 20' I'm sure.)

Might want to check some of the on-line sources that sell cables (don't have a list.) I'm sure if you search you'll find some good references though.

Number6, thanks for the info. Keep trying(!) I'll try the ATI 9700 card once I get my TV. I doubt it'll be any different than the 7500 though. Bummer about the GeForce4, I'm sure the 3's and 2's have the same problem since they all use the same driver.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rhuala
BTW, where is a good place to buy about a 20' long DVI cable? Been to CC, BB and GG none of them even carry DVI cables yet? Also, I've been reading that there are different ends for different situations DVI-I, DVI-D...etc. For connecting my Geforce 4 Ti4400 card to my GW XBR what ends do I need please. Thanks.

rhuala
I've never ordered from them, but Digital Connection has 20' cables, and they seem to be well regarded as they have a presence on the HTPC forum. You will need DVI-D connectors on both ends (I'm assuming you have a DVI-D connector on the video card and not just a VGA).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.