AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the anticipated gain by adding more RDRAM? I have a P4 1.8 with 512 RDRAM. I use this for DVD (TT 1.5 and HDTV mostly, with some DVB thrown in, but not much.

My motherboard uses the 400 FSB and this Rhambus RAM is disappearing. I could upgrade to 1 GB for around $200. Would I be better to stash the $200 toward a new motherboard and the newer RAM systems?

I have some comprehension of speed and nanoseconds, etc., but I am asking about what would I noticably gain with the increased RAM: clearer pictures, less CPU/hard drive usage or what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I doubt you would see any reasonable amount of speed difference, one way you can tell if you need more ram, if your using win2k or xp hit ctrl alt del and click the performance and run an intensive application. Check to see how high the page file usage goes. if it is real high or your hard drive sounds like it is working overtime, it may help with a ram upgrade. But in my experience 512 is enough for even the most demanding applications. unless you like to run allot of intensive apps simultaneously. I would save the 200 and save up your money for a future upgrade to the new 800fsb mobos (IE Asus P4C800) with like a p4 3.0ghz 800fsb processor. And some pc3200 DDR Memory. That would be your biggest performance increase imho. I am currently using this setup and let me tell you its awesome!!

Stoney

·
Registered
91 Posts
I must say that I am having no problems with heat at all, though I am running a zalman socket 478 copper cooler that does a great job. it runs between 32c and 42c. Its also pretty quiet. I love this new board and the 800mhz fsb does indeed make a difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would normally say get the 512MB Upgrade for future proofing because we all know new software and operating systems will need more and more. You probably won't see any immediate performance increase but if you plan to use that system at all then it can be useful.

On the otherhand the new 800MHz FSB gear is pretty nice and I would say that is the way to go but then again, it isn't going to be cheap. I have read that the new boards will be 40% higher to start and will stay that way for a bit and then the new CPU's will also be more pricey so it's still a bit of a crap shoot. All I know is I regret not buying some more SDRAM for some of my slightly older systems so I could consolidate it into the systems that are still in use rather than just getting by with the amount of SDRAM I have in those systems because it's so steeply priced now (compared to DDR).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.