AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got my HTPC for use with the SONY PLASMA (PFM510A2WU). I just had the time to try the dvd player, which is mainly what I'll be using. Enventhough the image looks great, I can't get the aspect ratio right

Here is what happens: First of all, my Plasma has 3 aspect ratio formats (4:3, 16:9 and W Zoom). So I want to use the 16:9 aspect ratio to watch dvds at full screen.

When I'm using an external dvd player (not the HTPC) and select the 16:9 aspect ratio in the Plasma the image of 16:9 enhaced dvd movies appears at full screen with the right proportions; when the dvd is 2.35:1, the image appears with small black bars above and below the movie and with the right proportions (I don't mind watching these movies with back bars because they are small bars and I always like to have the full width of the picture).

When I'm using the HTPC and select the 16:9 aspect ratio in the Plasma the desktop appears at full screen but completely distorced (the icons are "enlarged" for the sides). I guess is the same that happens when I choose a 4:3 source and the 16:9 mode in the Plasma (everething gets disproportional to fit the screen).

When I try watching a DVD movie in the HTPC and 16:9 mode on the Plasma, the same thing occurs. I get a not proportional picture and what is worst: the image of 16:9 enhaced dvd movies appears with black bars above and below the picture; and the image of the 2.35:1 dvd movies appears with large black bars.

Why I'm doing is using the Plasma adjustments (Vertical size) to get the image back to proportions, but even then I still get black bars on the 16:9 enhaced dvds. I can also use the Pan & Scan of the dvd softwares, but then I loose a big portion of the screen as well as image resolution (quality).

The Plasma's specs states ( http://bpgprod.sel.sony.com/bpcnav/....print.BPC.html ) that it is a 1024x1024 panel. I'm not sure how this works, but I'm guessing I can't get a 16:9 signal through the computer input of the display. When I watch dvd movies in 4:3 mode of the Plasma, the image gets proportion, but than I get Large Black Bars on the sides of the image.

Can anyone help me getting a full screen 16:9 image on the Sony Plasma through the computer input (HTPC)? Is anyone there using the Sony with HTPC?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.