AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post, and my not be interesting to anyone but I could use the help.

I just got my projector and am extactic with the picture. Now I'm trying to figure out how to implement in my living room, and everyone seems to laud HTPC. I've been using my notebook to drive the projector and it works fantastic. It has an ATI Radeon 7500 built in, so that helps.

The new dilemma: Audio. Notebook audio in 99% of machines absolutely SUCKS. I bought an Edirol (Roland) UA-30 about a year ago so I could run my audio software (I write music) and sketch while on the road and abroad. It has both TOSLINK and S/PDIF out.

Edirol assures me that the product is capable of Dolby Digital 5.1 through it's S/PDIF, but I can't get DD5.1 to show up as an option in PowerDVD or WinDVD whatsoever.

As Dolby Digital 5.1 is an absolute MUST for me, does anyone know how to force any DVD software to use an s/pdif? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Also, if anyone could suggest another usb option for getting 5.1 (and preferably DTS) out of the notebook that would be a great help. Price point is a SERIOUS issue, because I just blew my low military-pay budget on the projector anyway.

Thanks a lot guys! And a big THANK YOU to the creators and maintainers of the forum.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
USB Audio sugestion is MAudio Sonica, buy why not just use the toslink?

As far a showing S/PDIF, for WinDVD - have you tried DVDGenie? It also may be the version of WinDVD as some did not support S/PDIF. I assume that there is some sort of control panel for the audio. With the Audigy/Sound Blaster cards you must turn on digital audio and turn off AC-3 decoding. Perhaps there is something similar on the laptop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. I can't find anything close to a control panel for the UA-30 in XP, so that's a no-go. I'm looking for DVDGenie at the moment.

It seems like at one point I actually saw the option in PowerDVD or WinDVD, but can't duplicate it. Now all the selections are greyed-out. I've been using PowerDVD XP and WinDVD 3 and the new fandangled WINDVD 4, but none of them are working. I had uninstalled ver 3, and may have to reinstall it to see if that's what's up. I can't imagine my usb audio device being supported in ver 3 and not in ver 4 though.

Thanks for the help Kaiser. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.