Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I'm a newbies here. I tried searching for my answer for abt 1 month here but it seem like I can't find a definite answer. So, I think it is time for me to break the ice.

Actually, I'm trying to setup my HTPC with the following hardware setup:-

1. PC with 5.1 speaker and CMedia 8738 5.1 sound card with TOSLink Input & Output(no DD/DTS hardware decoder). Without DVD-Rom.

2. JVC DVD Player.

I tried connecting my DVD player Audio Optical Output to my sound card Optical Input but it seem to be giving a lot of noise. So, I'm trying to use my HTPC as a DD/DTS receiver and perform a SOFTWARE DD/DTS decoding. Is it possible ?

If possible, what software do I need ?

Pls advise me if anyone have gone through this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case my message sound confusing to some.

Actually, I'm trying to use my PC as a "DD/DTS receiver" that receive encoded digital DD/DTS sound from my standalone DVD Player, then decode the DD/DTS and play it on my 5.1 PC speakers.

Appreciate if anyone could advise me.

Let me know if any questions.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Short answer : no. you can't decode an external spdif input

Longer answer. do a search. This gets asked about 5 times a week, and has been covered extensively.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
weeelllllll..... not so fast.... when you do the search, you'll find that with intervideo's WINDVD audio decoder you CAN do it, but unfortunately, (and I'm paraphrasing here)..... the decoder needs a bunch of things manually set up on the properties page first, and then it works, but the settings don't stick, and when you start up the next time, you gotta go through the same malarky again....

:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi jimwhite,

:) Thanks. I finally see some lights now.

Maybe I'm poor in forum searching, I still can't find the thread on how to use WINDVD audio decoder to decode the digital audio AC-3 signal input from my external dvd player. Appreciate if u could help to find the link.

Thanks.

Regards,

gkoon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.