AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching comes up with a lot of PC equalizer software that’s made to adjust a Windows PC’s sound, but they all appear to be for sound if the source is the PC itself, such as playing music files. However that’s not what I want.

I would like to use my PC as a stand alone audio equalizer that is connected between an AV receiver’s preamp output and headphones plugged into the PC. What I’d like to try is boosting the high frequencies to compensate for some hearing loss. Since the HTPC is sitting near the TV and the AVR I figured why not put it to use & give this a try.

I’ve done a lot of Googling & so far have not found anything to use a PC as a stand alone equalizer.

Has anyone done this and/or have any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Searching comes up with a lot of PC equalizer software that’s made to adjust a Windows PC’s sound, but they all appear to be for sound if the source is the PC itself, such as playing music files. However that’s not what I want.

I would like to use my PC as a stand alone audio equalizer that is connected between an AV receiver’s preamp output and headphones plugged into the PC. What I’d like to try is boosting the high frequencies to compensate for some hearing loss. Since the HTPC is sitting near the TV and the AVR I figured why not put it to use & give this a try.

I’ve done a lot of Googling & so far have not found anything to use a PC as a stand alone equalizer.

Has anyone done this and/or have any suggestions?
Thanks
Avr tone controls?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Avr tone controls?
I've already done that but need more gain in the high frequencies. Also I figured my wife could listen to the TV through the external speakers & I could use the headphones with the audio sourced from the AVR preamp out. That way my equalization would not affect her. I don't know if there will be any delay difference between speakers & headphones, or if the headphones can efficiently block the speaker sound if there is a time delay difference. But I figured it's worth a try.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've already done that but need more gain in the high frequencies. Also I figured my wife could listen to the TV through the external speakers & I could use the headphones with the audio sourced from the AVR preamp out. That way my equalization would not affect her. I don't know if there will be any delay difference between speakers & headphones, or if the headphones can efficiently block the speaker sound if there is a time delay difference. But I figured it's worth a try.
My AVR has separate tone controls for zone 2, that might be a solution if yours is similar, drive the headphones from the zone 2 output.

How much boost does the control give you? Mine are +-6dB I would be cautious if you need more than +6dB on the treble there's a danger you could blow your tweeters if you listen at a high level.

Have you tried boosting Treble and cutting Bass at the same time, that gives you +12dB difference (if your controls are like mine or at least double what the treble boost does alone) the end result is more fashionably called a house curve. I did a bit of a test here:

Minidsp have a headphone amp with DSP solution if you want to go in that direction, not cheap but should be able to do any kind of correction you could want, probably even a prescription one. The DSP will doubtless add some delay, ordinary cabled headphones should still be in sync with the speakers but anything with DSP or radio, Bluetooth etc. will definitely not be in sync. If you use a second zone maybe you can adjust sync separately, my AVR can do that.

A hifi loving friend recently got hearing aids, he spent a lot of money on good dsp processing as he wanted "dirac for his ears" he's very impressed. He also got the company to provide him with some details of the correction so he could experiment with applying the same correction in his hifi system!

You can definitely get headphones that will block the speaker audio, I bought a pair of the ones they use on aircraft carriers for a project once. £3000 and definitely not hifi, I'm sure something in between could be found.

There's a lot that can be done, some have built home hearing aid loops under the sofa, google it, I built one but split up with the partially deaf girlfriend before it ever got tested.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information.

It made me read the AVR manual. It’s been a long time since I've looked at the back of receiver. I thought it had a preamp output, & it does, but only for the subwoofer. The line outputs are for Zone 2.

Regarding Zone 2, the manual states “Only analog, NET or USB input source is output from the ZONE 2 LINE OUT jacks."

Regarding tone controls, the manual states “You can boost or cut high-frequency sounds output from the front speakers” and “You can adjust the bass and treble for the front speakers”.

I have tried hearing aids but had issues & had to stop wearing them.

So it looks like no TV audio from Zone 2. The TV has a mini-jack audio output which I tried but there is no audio present, probably because the TV is receiving it's signal via HDMI connection.

Plan "B" would to use the AVR headphone output but would still need an equalizer to adjust the sound.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
Many AVRs disable the speaker outputs when a headphone is plugged in, so verify that’s not the case in your AVR.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Optical or stereo out from the display into the PC as a line in. Then apply software EQ and plug in your headphones to the PC. Though I'd suggest ditching the PC and going with an external soundcard something like a Creative G5 or G6 which can take an optical input and apply dsp, and not require a PC (other than setting up EQ and DSP profiles).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts