AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seperate unit to handle all of my video processing needs so I wanted to look into the viability of all my sources originating from an HTPC & being fed via HD-SDI (292M) to my VP.

Blackmagic Design has several products that appear to facilitate this function. I would want to utilize PCI-Express connectivity.

Source Wish list would include:

ATSC over the Air tuner

OCUR HD-Cable Card (no idea where this process is currently but did notice S1 Digital hyping it)

HD-DVD drive

Blu-Ray drive

Would want all the above to utilize PCI-E and then HD-SDI out (Blackmagic Multibridge or card) to my DVX-8022.

I am speaking in generalities & broad concepts because that is my HTPC knowledge level.

All help appreciated. I do realize that this is not a common HTPC set-up. I also realize that we have not addressed audio.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon /forum/post/0

OCUR HD-Cable Card (no idea where this process is currently but did notice S1 Digital hyping it)

HD-DVD drive

Blu-Ray drive

unless the SDI card supports HDCP there's no way you'll get any of those working.

- Josh

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh,

How sure of that are you? People have been editing all the content you watch in HDTV utilizing HD-SDI for quite some time with no thought to HDCP.

Second thought is I am not endeavoring to break the digital content chain here ( ie, no digital to analog conversion). We are remaining in a fully Digital domain & therefore still legal.

Also, from the little I do know isn't the HDCP blockade (ICT flagging) taking place at the graphics card in most HTPC's??

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:

Josh,

How sure of that are you? People have been editing all the content you watch in HDTV utilizing HD-SDI for quite some time with no thought to HDCP.

Second thought is I am not endeavoring to break the digital content chain here ( ie, no digital to analog conversion). We are remaining in a fully Digital domain & therefore still legal.

Also, from the little I do know isn't the HDCP blockade (ICT flagging) taking place at the graphics card in most HTPC's??

Well first of all the ONLY way to get Cable Card is to purchase a new PC from an OEM manufacture like Dell or Velocity Micro, and those PC's have to stick by stringent rules and such set forth by cable labs and part of that is HDCP. You have to have a digital protected path to even watch cable card tuned channels. Meaning your video card must be HDCP, as well as your TV.

So replacing your HDCP video card with an SDI based setup, takes away that digital protected path, UNLESS as I already said is if the SDI card your looking at still retains the HDCP functions that a video card does.

Also ICT doesn't have to do with HDCP or digital, ICT has to do with ANALOG. ICT is for users using component video to their display, and no NOT all video cards are HDCP compliant.

- Josh

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are aware that the hypothetical HTPC I described above would have no graphics card??

With a Blackmagic Multibridge Extreme (Eclipse, or Pro) they would be taking the signal straight from the PCI-X bus.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:

You are aware that the hypothetical HTPC I described above would have no graphics card??

With a Blackmagic Multibridge Extreme (Eclipse, or Pro) they would be taking the signal straight from the PCI-X bus.

Yes which is why I stated the HDCP part, the software for cable card (IE vista MCE) and BR/HD DVD's (IE PowerDVD) the way they are programed are looking for everything HDCP (IE the Digital protected path)

you can't just add an SDI card and expect to pull off video from each source and expect it to work. The SDI card replaces the video card, so unless the SDI card is HDCP there is no way you can get premium content out of the PC with the SDI card, specially Cable Card.

- Josh

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Josh,

All of this info I needed to know. Thanks!

I can order an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray stand alone player to output 292m HD-SDI but cannot play in the HTPC realm. Must make sense to whomever took Jack Valentis place. Sure took the VHS tape a long time to kill him off. Bout 20 years & 5 billion dollars longer than he predicted.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Now I am not saying it isn't possible for HD DVD and BR DVD. But for cable cards right now it definitely is.

With HD DVD and BR DVD you can run a program called Anydvd HD, which removes AACS copy protection in real time.

Once AACS is removed, then HDCP is no longer needed.

Then you "might" be able to use a SDI card to output the video to your scaler, I honestly haven't seen an SDI output card, most of the ones I have seen are input for editing video.

- Josh

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really need some experienced editing people to join this conversation.

The Black Magic products I specified are not internal cards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.