AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum. What I want to do is simple, yet I can only find a true solution so far at $1,000. I have purchased a Barco 1208 CRT projector, and want to use it for PC games and console games, as well as HT. I need a processor to re-scale and move (orbit) the raster when playing games, to avoid the dreaded burn-in on the CRTs. Extron sells an RGB device that does this orbit feature, at the cost of a grand. I am about to try using YXY and my video capture card to orbit a console game feed, however this wont help with PC games, unless I run one PC through a tv-output, and re-aquire with the another HTPC, assuming YXY can do the job. I contacted the author, and he informed me that it won't work. I am wondering if anyone else has dealt with this problem using off the shelf software. Or should I buy the CRT saver from Extron?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I cannot see a way of doing this with any game that plays full screen as where would it orbit to...

If playing something in a window you may want to have a look at if YxY will orbit the game window as I think this should be possible... I guess you should have success with useing this along with dScaler to move the dScaler window around and pipe a game into dScaler via S-Vid...

This fear of burn is what has kept me in the digital PJ camp....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may be a little long, apologies in advance to all. Yes Phreddy, I hear you on the digital PJ solution. I was looking at those as a solution to the game problem as well, it was the bulb life and possible stuck pixels that scared me away. Used CRT prices are (for now at least) affordable, and that factored into a complex decision process. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and can repair a CRT set should it die. I may still get a digital and table mount it underneath the ceiling CRT as the ultimate solution, but an Extron box would still be cheaper. I could design a digital frame buffer and re-scale the video feeds from a ramdac, but it would eventually cost me more than a grand, since it would require a board layout. It would actually be easier to hack the convergence in a CRT system to bias the individual rasters around in hardware. I have an older coffee table CRT that I'm repairing right now to test that design on. First, I'm going to run some experiments in PC land, to see what these programs can do. I have already quizzed the hard core programmers at work about compiling a custom code fragment to do this. Without framegrabber source code it is too difficult. I have downloaded YXY and Dscaler, however the theater room is still under construction. I bought the house less than a year ago, and I'm still buried in littler projects...

I tried YXY on my desktop machine at work, I set it to operate on MS-Paint to test the orbit function. It did work, but was jumpy and random, it didn't seem to follow the GUI instructions. After terminating YXY, MS-Paint always opened in a vertically stretched screen mode, and could not be maximized, the buttons gave no reaction. It took a re-boot to get it back to normal. YXY would not work on Windows Explorer at all. I have yet to try it on another program. The plan was to use it on the framegrabber software and orbit the incoming video feed. I was unaware that Dscaler had orbit, I'll try that next.

Thanks again,

Scott

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Someone in the lamp forum just posted asking if a Davis DL450 was worth 600 USD ?? Thats with 50 hours on its 6000 hour bulb... lotta games not a lotta money :D !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.