AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you play copy controlled CD:s and CD:s with autoplay on your HTPCS? I'm currently building a HTPC and I wan't it to be as easy to control as a stand-alone cd-player. When just playing a CD you shouldn't have to start the projector. The VFD-display and remote should be enough.

I suspect this might be troublesome with CD:s that are copy controlled. Obviously I could use sw that removes the protection and burn a "clean" cd-copy or rip the CD to HD. I'm not completely happy with that since I think it will only be a matter of time before someone else tries to play a CC CD and get's into trouble.

Disableing autoplay probably is the first step. A program that could autoplay only specific approved programs would also be nice. I guess that it would'nt be to hard to find or write such a program.

The second step is to find a CD-playing software that plays CC discs just like a regular CD-player. Technically this is possible but I'm not aware of any such programs. Also it would be nice with a girder plugin for the player.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
499 Posts
There is a thread somewhere where someone reported that certain DVDRom drives (such as Lite-On) don't really seem to care whether a CD is copy protected or not. Apparently, these protection schemes work by trying to "screw up" the drive's ability to read the data. I can't say for sure because I don't believe I have any :-(

I have configured foobar2k to be associated with CDAudio, and configured audio CD's to autoplay, and the wifie just has to remember to switch the receiver to the HTPC input, and pop in the CD, she loves it. Now if I could just get her to be able to play my archived rips :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've also read that some players don't care about the copy protection. As I understand it there are at least 4 different copy protection schemes but they seem to work by disrupting the TOC information.

I tried one disk and couldnt play it it in my DVD. However EAC could read and rip it obiously bypassing or reconstructing the TOC. Since EAC can rip it I figured that it was readable in the drive but the player SW got confused by the TOC. Since it's possible to read the tracks with EAC i suppose it would be possible to play them directly with a player If I could find one as smart (or dumb) as EAC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
yea, id like to know what people are using for cd playback, like a stereo.

i really dont play many audio cd, since they are almost always ripped and tagged. But since im trying to make a fully functional HTPC it should have the basic functionality of a set top stereo. Id like to insert a CD then press a PLAY CD menu item (like through myhtpc) and have it , (at the least) scan cd give number of tracks, and start play on the first track and allow me to do standard playback controls. and (at the most) scan cd, get album cover, song names, and display in a customizable format along with the audio controls.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I personally think that one of the benefits to having a HTPC for listening to music is that you won't have to insert CDs ever again. (Well, after the one time to rip them.)

Disk space is so cheap these days, that one can easily losslessly encode your music library and presto, any time you want to listen to music it's at your finger tips.

I personally use (and love) MediaCenter for organizing and listening to music. I rip my music with EAC, to Monkey's Audio files and listen away. I currently have 266 albums stored in 86gb of disk space.

I just put a system together for my father that uses an RME HDSP9632 sound card. I haven't gotten a chance to really listen to it yet, but it should rival most CD players out on the market. I'm thinking about getting an M-Audio FW410 for myself.

The other advantage to ripping all your music is that you don't have to rely on always connecting to the network to get album art and track info, it's stored in the files.

kiwi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do agree that ripping to a HD has significant advantages and it is my preferred way of listening as well. However I think that it should be possible to listen to a CD as well. Both because I don't rip losslessly yet, and also because my wife seems to enjoy changing discs more than selecting in menus. That will probably change over time but for the time being it's important. I still have a stand-alone player but I wouldnt mind getting rid of it if I can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
However I think that it should be possible to listen to a CD as well. Both because I don't rip losslessly yet, and also because my wife seems to enjoy changing discs more than selecting in menus.
totally agree.

kiwi, i too use media center and love the organization of that software, but what i dont have is an easy to use interface via the tv for it. When i bought it i was really excited about the hairstyle feature of it, but there has not been much improvement on it since. music lobby looks like the ultimate gui for media center but its very expensive, plus im not keen on having to use main lobby for the interface, i already have myHTPC in place and running.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, I've been waiting on them to update the hairstyle. It sounds like it will be worked on w/ major revisions and changes to be made after 9.1 gets finished. The regular interface has improved dramatically. Hopefully the Hairstyle will as well.

I've never tried their TV interface stuff, however, I have a feeling that it's not very mature.

I agree w/ Music Lobby... looks cool, but is way to expensive.

kiwi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.