AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on what additional components should be added or which components should be upgraded i.e. Radeon 8500 instead of 7500, etc. to a basic HTPC spec?

Are there any reasons I shouldn't try to do this. Basically I'm interested in seeing what'd be like to play games on the big monitor....

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
FYI - I'd stay away from the 8500 as far as DVD playback is concerned. If I'm not mistaken, the gamma's still broken on it...

Other reasons not to use the HTPC as a gaming machine include stability. The more stuff you cram onto the thing, there's more chance that you'll have problems with your DVD playback.

P.S. Am I correct in understanding that you have seven Tivo's?? That's nuts! I take it you enjoy television? :)

Kal

·
Registered
297 Posts
I asked the same question about a month ago, here's the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=HGPC

Basically, you can either try to have one PC that does everything (e.g. dual boot, Geforce AGP card with Radeon PCI card), or simply build two boxes, one maximized for HTPC and one for gaming. I have gone with the latter option due to stability and compatibility concerns.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, that was my gut and then feed the video through to the HTPC to view on the monitor. Damn, this is getting expensive.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Very hard to feed a high rez signal into the HTPC... Need a VGA switch or similar...

Personally I just have a dual boot setup and once the gaming or experimental partition gets unstable or to full of old games etc I just clone my HTPC (virgin) build over to it...

This gives me not only a virgin HTPC (boots on default) and a reliable gaming rig (after reboot.. big deal) but also gives me a testbed to play with new configs on before modifying my HTPC build...

This system is one I would not stop...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vga switch, what'd that do?

your setup makes sense but why not have two machines?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You guys and your GeForce cards...

I'll have you know that my HTPC is just fine for games! I don't need no stinkin' 3D for MAME , I tell ya! :)

People seem to get into the old games more readily than the newer stuff around my HTPC, so I don't need any serious gaming hardware in it. As I am out of expansion slots, and used my older processor anyway, I am thankful for this.

Anyway, a VGA switchbox on two video cards is the way that I've seen it done the most often.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please explain this setup in a little more detail if you would in terms of how things are hooked up. The two video cards are exiting your two computers one card in each correct with the VGA switcher controlling which output is making it to the display unit, correct?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well you can get VGA switches of varying quality and ease of use... Extron make very high end ones and many have an auto switch to the main channel (eg keep the game rig on the main and keep it off and when it boots it steals the VGA output) this will do it...

Personally I would think the cost alone of additional cases / PS plus noise factors plus a whole host of other reasons would make this a non starter for me (plus I dual boot for experimental reasons keeping my main HTPC partition virgin) If you want just put a GF4 in your AGP slot and a PCI radeon in there and set it to use the PCI GFX Card on gaming boots...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Won't even need a reboot if WinXP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.