AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the upcoming M Audio Revolution and Theatertek 2.0 (this has been mentioned previously on the theatertek site as adding audio decoding), I am intrigued by the possibility of removing my pre-pro from the home theater, and hooking the M Audio directly to the speakers. The only remaining problem is the decoding of the Dolby Digiital and Pro Logic signals from DirecTV. Is there a way to get these signals into the PC and decode them there as well?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Curious why you're excited? You already have a pre/pro, so you're not saving money. Do you think you'll get better sound?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I'm seeking is flexibility, hopefully at no penalty of diminished sound.

A very common scenario with pre-pro's is failure to keep up with new formats in a timely fashion at reasonable cost. Compare this with the HTPC world, where DVD software, video card, drivers, sound card, powerstrip etc. are all constantly evolving and improving. I would love the former to be more like the latter, and moving pre-pro functions to a sound card with the potential for software updates as well as hardware improvements that are relatively inexpensive may be the way to accomplish this. I currently own a Proceed AVP with no inputs for DVD audio, no DPL 2, none of the newer DD or DTS formats. I passed on an expensive, bug-ridden upgrade offered a few months back. I would love my next processor to be more like my DVD player -- major improvement a month or so ago for $70, instead of shelling out megabucks every few years.

Granted, some pre-pro manufacturers do better than others with updates. However, you are investing in a proprietary format, and are limited to whatever that company may offer, limited by commercial viability, financial health etc. The PC is an open format. You could go with an Audigy II and PowerDVD now, switch to Theatertek 2.0 and a M Audio Revolution later and so forth. Whatever looks best can be rapidly incorporated.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Happily, with a great soundcard and software, the HTPC can sound as good if not better than the best of the Pre-pro's. Unhappily noone has come up with a program to do DD or DTS decoding in real time. MJ9, WINDVD REcorder do a great job on video and audio input but only in two channel using GEForce TI-4600 for video and M-Audio 1010 for audio. On the other hand, I have still not tgried doing external real time DD decoding thruogh SPDIF input wqiht WINDVD Recorder. Will try it tonight. That is really the last piece in the equation for using the HTPC for all audio-video functions except HDTV decoding from external sources. Bill

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the holdup in DD decoding of external sources the licensing? If the cost can be built into a $200 receiver, surely it can be built into the cost of a sound card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.