AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of posts about getting a HTPC hooked up to the satellite receiver to act as a pvr. I just switched from cable to satellite, so my setup does not work since there is no "basic" set of channels like cable that the PC can use without a decoder.

From what I understand I would need to purchase a USB blaster to allow the pc to change the sat receiver channel, however this would affect 1 of the 2 tvs hooked to it since none of the outputs are independant (tv1 outputs are linked as are tv2 outputs).

o

For a better quality recording, it sounds like the best option is to run s-vid from the tv1 output to the pc.

My receiver is the Dish VIP222 and I have a Hauppauge pvr150 and an ATI AIW 9800. I know that's not quite up to specs with some of the better setups, but it's what I've got for the time being.

Do I have any misunderstandings about this? Want to get some confirmation before I start making changes and buy anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMolter /forum/post/12875432

I've read a bunch of posts about getting a HTPC hooked up to the satellite receiver to act as a pvr. I just switched from cable to satellite, so my setup does not work since there is no "basic" set of channels like cable that the PC can use without a decoder.

From what I understand I would need to purchase a USB blaster to allow the pc to change the sat receiver channel, however this would affect 1 of the 2 tvs hooked to it since none of the outputs are independant (tv1 outputs are linked as are tv2 outputs).

o

For a better quality recording, it sounds like the best option is to run s-vid from the tv1 output to the pc.

My receiver is the Dish VIP222 and I have a Hauppauge pvr150 and an ATI AIW 9800. I know that's not quite up to specs with some of the better setups, but it's what I've got for the time being.

Do I have any misunderstandings about this? Want to get some confirmation before I start making changes and buy anything.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's the basic gist of it and what I used to have (the "tuner" was an NTSC ATI, but using the S-Video). My wife banished the scrap PC from the guest room where the oldest Dish rcvr was, otherwise I might still have that setup running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Does anyone with a VIP222 have that sort of setup? Can anyone recommend a USB IR blaster? Sounds like the MCE remote is my best bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts