AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across these forums recently and read up on the HTPC HTDV timings and decided to give 'er a whirl.

I have a Proscan 36800 HDTV monitor that has an 800x600 VGA input specifically designed for a PC as well as a standard RGB HDTV input. I was very unhappy with the quality of my DVDs when played at 800x600 so wanted to try a 1080i (or close) timing to see if things improved.

After much hassle, I finally got a 1280x960i picture off my geforce II based HTPC when plugged into the standard RGB HDTV input, but when I open my DVD software (Power DVD 3) my DVD picture is "cut in half", i.e. I only see the top half of the picture, it won't display the entire thing. It is as though the DVD software is trying to display a progressive image while my windows desktop is displaying an interlaced image. My windows desktop shows up fine, I can see the whole thing, but when I open the DVD software only the top half of the DVD is displayed in the window (same thing happens in windowed mode or in full screen).

Does anyone have even the slightest clue as to what I'm talking about? ;) I've tried 2 software DVD players (the cyberlink 3.0 and some software that came with the star wars DVD), same result on both.

Do I need to tweak the DVD player somewhere? what's it doing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
since i'm guessing you set up your custom resolutions through powerstrip, this problem should be resolved fairly easier. run powerstrip and click on the pstrip icon in your system tray --> goto options --> hotkey manager. in hotkey manager, enable hotkeys, setup a hotkey for "restore custom timings" (mine is bound to ctrl+alt z). now simply run your respective dvd player at your 1280x960i resolution. you'll get the half-image still but now simply hit your hotkey for "restore custom timings" and your image should be displayed fully. when you maximize it to fullscreen do the same thing again and you should be fine :).

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The above trick isn't doing it for me - however, Geforce DOES display interlaced. I have no problems displaying my interlaced 1280x960i desktop via an ASUS geforce II card and powerstrip 3.2.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
GeForce cards may display an interlaced desktop, but they don't support an interlaced overlay as you've found. If the 'Refresh Custom Timing' command in Powerstrip doesn't work there' s nothing else you can do, unless you want to try to get NVidia to add support for this in a future driver release. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

If you want interlaced overlay, the best (if not only) solution is a Radeon running on the 7093 drivers under Win9x/ME.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lgibb
One last question, does anyone have experience with the Radeon under XP? i.e. does the interlaced overlay work with the XP drivers?
To my knowledge, none of the drivers released for Win2k or XP support interlaced overlays, that's why I specifically mentioned the 7093 drivers running under Win9x/ME.

Hopefully ATI will fix this problem in a future driver release, but there's no guarantee when or if that will happen.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up an ATI Radeon 7200 today and will give that a shot tonight. I'm anxious to see whether or not the upscaled (1280x960) HTPC version will exceed the output from my normal DVD player via component input.

The 800x600 and the 480p timing I tried look like hell in comparison to my stand along DVD player - the picture was very soft and the MPEG2 artifacting was VERY, VERY noticable. The only benefit was the lack of scan lines, but the picture was so soft it actually deters from the movie.

I read so much about people raving about 1080i DVD playback so hopefully with this card I can get it working, at least long enough to determine whether or not it's worth playing DVDs from the PC instead of the stand along player.

Then of course I'll have to shell out some more $$ for a better sound card so I can pass dolby digital/DTS to my THX amp, but that's another thread ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.