AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the one side of my basement, I have a 60' plasma, 7.1 theater setup, powered by a Win 7 HTPC with an AMD A10-5800K, Biostar FM2 mobo and Asus Radeon HD 6670 for video. Then in the back I have a bar/lounge area and on the other side opposite the theater I have a workout room. Both the bar area and the workout room have a stereo pair of speakers that are connected to my Zone 2 on the receiver (Onkyo TXSR608) and the workout room has a small 32" TV as well.

At certain times, what I would like to be able to do is push the same audio to the entire basement all at once (big games, etc.), but I'm having a hard time getting it to work together. The main problem seems to be that my receiver will only take analog audio signal for Zone 2. Since I'm currently getting my audio from the HDMI on my video card (to push digital sound to the theater room), this will not play on Zone 2. The video splits fine, because the PC just sees two monitors which I can either set to be mirrored or separate. Just need to find a solution for the audio so that I can output digital sound to the theater room and analog into another input on the receiver to send to Zone 2 at the same time.

I know this is a bit complex, but I figured someone out there has had this problem before (and hopefully solved it). Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The protected audio path, PAP, of high definition content protection, HDCP, might block the simultaneous digital and analogue audio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriverdoug  /t/1520749/htpc-audio-output-to-digital-hdmi-and-analog-stereo-at-same-time#post_24433083

Honestly don't think there is a way to do it with software.

A hardware solution would be to hes a analog audio extractor that will extract an analog signal from your HDMI.

Edit: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-digital-or-analog-audio.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&adtype=pla&gclid=CLKgmYDw9rwCFTIV7Aodb1EA4A

Hmm, yea. I just saw those audio converters today. Was looking at this one from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab3=b&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.1&pg_no2=2&c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FProduct%3Fab3%3Db%26c_id%3D101%26cp_id%3D10114%26cs_id%3D1011412%26p_id%3D10251%26seq%3D1%26format%3D2#feedback

Worried about loss of quality thought with that in the start of my run. I have to push the HDMI over 25' Redmere cable into the theatre room from my media closet under the stairs. I guess it's worth a shot to try and see how it works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millst  /t/1520749/htpc-audio-output-to-digital-hdmi-and-analog-stereo-at-same-time#post_24433159

Virtual Audio Cable might do that.

-tm

I don't really get how this works, how would I get a separate analog output? Pardon my lack of familiarity with it, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of documentation.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I now have a multi-room solution working with stereo to one zone and multi-channel to the second zone from my HTPC.

I'm using JRiver Media Center as the front end. HDMI out from my Nvidia card to Sherwood Newcastle R-972 AVR for Zone 1. Zone 2 is an inexpensive USB DAC from the HTPC to the analog (CD) input of the same AVR. You need to set-up JRiver up for 2 zones and then configure each for the intended audio path but it does work. I'm elated to finally have access to my entire music library both inside and outside my home.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts