AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get so involved in what I am watching using the HTPC, that I forget it is an HTPC. Many times I have turned off my G11 projector (have to wait awhile for it to cool off and shutdown) and remembered I had forgotten to turn off the HTPC. :mad: So I have to turn the G11 back on, pull down the screen and then shut down windows ME using the AirBoard.

I have a Pronto 2000 remote. Does anyone know if I can automate the shutdown process using just the Pronto?

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Girder can do this easy...

You can also place a shortcut on the desktop with the command line syntax (cant remember the exact line but can find it out) to shut the PC down without the prompt to ask if its restart etc.... Then assign the shortcut a hotkey and teach that to the Pronto

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I don't think it works on XP, or you need to use a different syntax. But the answer is there somewhere.

you could download SHDN, which is a little program that shutsdown, and other features.

with your airboard, if you get the obove mentioned command to work, you could simply have a keystroke programmed into your pronto that would type this...
revised milliseconds before Milori's post.:)

windows logo key or ctrl-escape

u

s

that would work from most any program, I would think.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Question: Why do you shut down your HTPC anyway? I just leave mine on all the time. Makes for quicker start up if it's already started up.

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Don,

If I have turned off my projector, I shut the PC down "blind" with the keyboard:

CTRL-ESC , "U", "S", Enter

That basically says: bring up the start menu, choose SHUT DOWN, and pick the SHUT DOWN option on the final screen.

This is for Win98SE, the keystrokes may differ some with other OSs.

You could program it into a Pronto, if you wish.

One note: depending on what you were doing, an application may interrupt the sequence with a message ("Do you wish to save 'resume.doc'?").

If the above keystroke doesn't work, pressing ESC or ENTER and doing it again almost always does.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave T

I just leave mine on all the time. Makes for quicker start up if it's already started up.
I find that it doesn't really matter that the HTPC takes a little bit to boot up, because the projector needs to warm up for 30 mins anyway :)

Gertjan

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think about the additional programs I have running. Usually if I have been watching a DVD I will generally remember to shut down the HTPC after shutting down the DVD software program. It's when I am watching an input form my dish or OTA TV through DScaler that I forget to get out of DScaler first and then shutdown the HTPC.

I usually shut down the unit as I don't like to leave the HTPC running along with the cooling fan. By the way it only takes about 25 seconds from cold to full booted operation.

I was told by the IT people where I work that there is some type of a free downloadable program that can be configured to shut down running programs and the computer. They will try to see if they can find it for me. Some of the other suggestions put forth here also sound very promising.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I know there must be some program like that: my HTPC (bought it all preconfigured cause i didnt want to bother with putting one together myself for a change) came with the hotkey preconfigured and everything. I press ALT-F1 to shut it down, and press the space bar to fire it up again. If i remember tonight i'll see if i can tell which software they installed for this. (The booting up on a key press is a BIOS function btw...)

Now all i need to add is a big DVD changer that i can hook up to the HTPC so i dont have to get up out of my chair anymore :D

Gertjan

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Quote:
you could download SHDN, which is a little program that shutsdown, and other features
It doesn't work in XP.

go here and look for SHDN, which will be under plug-ins or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most forum users use Girder . It's a pretty complex program, but you can do pretty much anything with it. If you don't already have an IR reciever hooked to your PC, goto Evation .

I use my Pronto to watch DVDs via computer, and browse my MP3s via some custom software. Girder allows you to control just about anything on the PC.

Greg

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
MS's Resource Kit 4.0 comes with shutdown.exe. Shuts everything down correctly. Works only with NT OS's though. 4.0, 2000. I haven't tried XP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.