AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been hearing a lot about bitstreaming hd audio with Htpc's. You have to either have an I3 or I5 clarkdale with integrated gpu or 460 GTX or the 5000 series, so my 1st question is, what about just passing thru uncompreessed lpcm, or do any drives decode the dts hd and then pass it thru or just pass it thru and have the receiver decode it?

My next question is will I be able to bitstream with this setup and wich program should I use and are there any special tweeks, patches,plugin,etc. that I need to be aware of?I'm going to be using an I3 540 with a 460gtx and I've heard either ds player or windvd with anydvd hd or arcsoft total media player. Also I have an Onkyo receiver and I've heard a couple people mention problems with Onkyos but I don't know what problem or how to fix it and if its just with certain software etc.

Any help would be great, I've looked thru the different forums and have found a lot of great advice but not awfully answer to my specific questions, thanks guys.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have an Onkyo and an ati 5750. I was able to get bistreaming to work (this was almost a year ago - I'm sure things have progressed since then), but I would have issues where the audio would cut out for a split second every now and then. this would happen often enough that it made it a no go for me.

Now, I have no idea if this was a problem with the receiver or something else.

I ended up going the flac route. convert the hd audio to flac and pass that along to the receiver (lpcm). You get the same HD sound and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/19630780

Ive been hearing a lot about bitstreaming hd audio with Htpc's. You have to either have an I3 or I5 clarkdale with integrated gpu or 460 GTX or the 5000 series, so my 1st question is, what about just passing thru uncompreessed lpcm, or do any drives decode the dts hd and then pass it thru or just pass it thru and have the receiver decode it?

My next question is will I be able to bitstream with this setup and wich program should I use and are there any special tweeks, patches,plugin,etc. that I need to be aware of?I'm going to be using an I3 540 with a 460gtx and I've heard either ds player or windvd with anydvd hd or arcsoft total media player. Also I have an Onkyo receiver and I've heard a couple people mention problems with Onkyos but I don't know what problem or how to fix it and if its just with certain software etc.

Any help would be great, I've looked thru the different forums and have found a lot of great advice but not awfully answer to my specific questions, thanks guys.

Read this first
for a little background.

Now, the drives have nothing to do with the audio and video.

The reason ATI's HD5000 series keeps getting recommended is because they were the first ones to the market with an all-in-one audio & video solution. They have had quite a head start on the others and their problems and bugs have been ironed out (for most).

The AVR bug had something to do with the EDID that most modern devices have nowadays. It has since been resolved.

What Onkyo AVR do you have?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed you didn't mention the NVIDIA 460 in your list, probably cause the thread isn't that recent, but do you have any idea what players support the 460? It also sounds like out of those 3 options you have listed, the 5000 series is the best supported?

I have an Onkyo txnr 1008.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/0

Read this first
for a little background.

Now, the drives have nothing to do with the audio and video.

The reason ATI's HD5000 series keeps getting recommended is because they were the first ones to the market with an all-in-one audio & video solution. They have had quite a head start on the others and their problems and bugs have been ironed out (for most).

The AVR bug had something to do with the EDID that most modern devices have nowadays. It has since been resolved.

What Onkyo AVR do you have?

By the way thank you for help there's some good info in there, I just need to figure out wich player will have support for the gtx460 and allow me to bitstream.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/19631706

I noticed you didn't mention the NVIDIA 460 in your list, probably cause the thread isn't that recent, but do you have any idea what players support the 460? It also sounds like out of those 3 options you have listed, the 5000 series is the best supported?

Yes, Nvidia didn't have anything at the time; they didn't even have an onboard audio controller for a long time. And ATI has had that for 5 generations now (HD 2/3/4/5/6000).

The best thing while doing research is to go to the source itself: check out the features and supported hardware list for each of the players; PDVD, TMT and WinDVD. The manufacturers have a list of sound cards and graphics cards that they support for their software.

Also, the freeware MPC-HC can bitstream with ffdshow (some limitations on playback though).

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19631824

Also, the freeware MPC-HC can bitstream with ffdshow (some limitations on playback though).

MPC-HC is my preferred software. The picture and sound seem to be better though that is just my opinion.

I installed TMT 3 in order to make Windows Media Center more Wife friendly though.

The only real hassle with MPC-HC is the language issue. The language that is displayed seems to be different every time and never English. (I'm not talking about the subtitles) I guess that the lack of menu support is a pain as well though I usually don't miss it.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19631824

Yes, Nvidia didn't have anything at the time; they didn't even have an onboard audio controller for a long time. And ATI has had that for 5 generations now (HD 2/3/4/5/6000).

not exactly the case. For integrated graphics, nvidia had 8 channel lpcm support with the 8200/8300.

but you are right for discrete graphics.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB /forum/post/19632278

not exactly the case. For integrated graphics, nvidia had 8 channel lpcm support with the 8200/8300.

but you are right for discrete graphics.

Yeah, but we are not talking about motherboard chipsets.

If we look at MB audio, Intel had the lead on integrating '8-ch LPCM over HDMI', long before ATI & Nvidia.

In any case, that is what is so baffling; Nvidia had an onboard (8-ch PCM) audio controller in their 82/83/93/9400 chipsets and they didn't put them in their discrete cards for a very long time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a core i3 and an Onkyo PR-SC5507 and bitstreaming (TrueHD and DTS-HD) works perfectly...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yep! Standard driver set, (I havent updated them since like march)...make sure you have Intel ME engine enabled in the bios and the MEI drivers loaded.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/19631706

Performance of all 3 is about the same on commercial players as far

as audio bitstreaming is concerned

On the open source players such as XBMC and MPC-HC , the AMD 5xxx

series has the best support in terms of functionality and least number of bugs

The GTX 460 and its derivatives have the silent stream problem, the

first few seconds of audio is cut off at playback. The extent of it

varies as the processor and the HTPC has to re-initiate the HDMI

handshake.

You can estimate the extent of the dropout by measuring the time

it takes the HDMI legend on the Onkyo to stop blinking when changing sources.

If you can accept this delay then the 460 might be an option.

The i3 has issues with 24p support, such as audio dropouts when

passing audio with 24p video over HDMI. Intel's implementation is

also the least compatible with MPC-HC and XBMC, and can be very

fussy about the types of content that can be decoded using

hardware acceleration on these players.

The main problem with AMD 5xxx is that it cannot quite keep its house in

order, the Catalyst releases always break something. In the latest 10.11 release,

H.264 AVC content with large reference frame counts (>5) can break

on MPC-HC or XBMC when using hardware decode.

Nvidia's drivers are a lot more stable and is not plagued by these sloppy regressive problems.

I have an i3-530, AMD 5550 on an Onkyo 885, GTX460 on an Onkyo 805.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia
Performance of all 3 is about the same on commercial players as far

as audio bitstreaming is concerned

On the open source players such as XBMC and MPC-HC , the AMD 5xxx

series has the best support in terms of functionality and least number of bugs

The GTX 460 and its derivatives have the silent stream problem, the

first few seconds of audio is cut off at playback. The extent of it

varies as the processor and the HTPC has to re-initiate the HDMI

handshake.

You can estimate the extent of the dropout by measuring the time

it takes the HDMI legend on the Onkyo to stop blinking when changing sources.

If you can accept this delay then the 460 might be an option.

The i3 has issues with 24p support, such as audio dropouts when

passing audio with 24p video over HDMI. Intel's implementation is

also the least compatible with MPC-HC and XBMC, and can be very

fussy about the types of content that can be decoded using

hardware acceleration on these players.

The main problem with AMD 5xxx is that it cannot quite keep its house in

order, the Catalyst releases always break something. In the latest 10.11 release,

H.264 AVC content with large reference frame counts (>5) can break

on MPC-HC or XBMC when using hardware decode.

Nvidia's drivers are a lot more stable and is not plagued by these sloppy regressive problems.

I have an i3-530, AMD 5550 on an Onkyo 885, GTX460 on an Onkyo 805.
This is excellent information and was.just what I was looking for. Have you had any other issues between the pc running the 460 and the Onkyo receiver? Any trouble getting it to bitstream when you first hooked everything up or anytime for that matter? How long of an audio lag aprox?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk
This is excellent information and was.just what I was looking for. Have you had any other issues between the pc running the 460 and the Onkyo receiver? Any trouble getting it to bitstream when you first hooked everything up or anytime for that matter? How long of an audio lag aprox?
The 460 worked out of the box with MPC-HC and DS-Player branch of XBMC

it bitstreamed everything including the lossless codecs.

The initial issue was DXVA2 decoding of DVD MPEG-2 compliant streams.

I got a lot of green screens and image breakup. The latest drivers have

fixed the playback but there is some way to go before they catch up to AMD

on the image quality.

The 805 is probably the worst for audio dropout (about 5-6 seconds)

among the commonly used receivers. Yours could be better as Onkyo

has been trying the fix this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts