AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Need help with XBMC and 24p Video and HD Audio playback..

Please see below my hardware to make it easier to understand.

Receiver - Onkyo 608

HTPC - (Zotac H55 mobo, Intel i3 Clarkdale, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 40GB SSD Drive, .mkv and .m2ts files streaming via 100 mbps network cable from much faster server which is based upstairs)

Software: Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT and XBMC (XBOX Media Centre)

TV - LG 60 PK590

Speakers B&W MT-30 with 2 additional speakers running in Audyssey DSX Front Wide 7.1 Setup

Please see link: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...member=mkohman

Now, with out going to deep I just want you to know I downloaded the DSPlayer version of XBMC and I followed this guide:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...sing-dsplayer/

Everything is working fine in XBMC when I am running at 50HZ.. When I try to run the video at the video refresh rate (in my .mkv case these are 24p) then the video plays perfect smooth but the audio keeps disconnecting and the Onkyo 608 "HDMI" sign keeps blinking on the receiver as if it is looking for an audio signal.. The audio will come back with the picture and then the audio will disconnect again.. This repeats its self over and over again..

When I use the 24p refresh rate in XBMC and use the Optical Cable and select the Onboard sound card to play from the optical output then I do not get any DTS HD MASTER or DD TRUE HD but the normale DTS and DD play flawlessly no disconnection in the sound!

Please can you advise me if you know what the issue is? This is so annoying and I have spent several hours trying to figure out why this is happening.. I am assuming it has something to do with the ONKYO 608 trying to match the audio with the 24p video which XBMC is refreshing it at and thats probably why the audio disconnects and tries to reconnect..

Any help is much appreciated..

Many Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Firstly at this moment in time probably the best way to achieve bitstreaming and auto adjust refresh rate changing in xbmc is to use mpc-hc as an external player.

The DSPlayer at the moment is - as you have found - buggy at least, unusable to most, unless you compile your own. The pre-compiled builds are old and prone to playback problems. Unless you are willing to build your own, then I would be inclined to wait for the release of Dharma, at which point the devs will begin a nightly svn DSPlayer build release.

There is the added issue of intel i3 graphics thrown into the equation. This has been a prolonged problem for xbmc/intel users and a fix was committed to the Dharma RC1 build, but while this might resolve issues with that chipset, it won't improve playback via DSPlayer if you are using the last compiled build 33619 (I think), which is based on a pre-Dharma build architecture.

Basically unless you compile your own, your only option is to use an external player at the moment

Me I would stick to Dharma and forego bitstreaming (it isn't all its cracked up to be - Emperor's Clothes and all that), then you might just get smoother 24hz playback (though I give no guarantees).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I´ve spent more then 1 month trying to get my H55 MOBO + I5 560 working with my onkyo 508 amp. No luck at all with audio with the same issues you talking, "HDMI" sign keeps blinking on the receiver. I used many tutorials and a lot of diferent software playback/codecs and still no luck. After this i decided to add an Nvidia gtx460 and it almost solved my problem and i say almost coz to my audio works 100% without any issues i had to turn PC with the TV ( LG 50 PS7000 ) disconnected it was the only way to get the Onkyo stable. So i said to me i can´t stay with a "almost" solved system and i changed the Nvidia 460 with an ATI 6850 and guess what i got the perfect system. It seems my Onkyo 508 receiver enjoyed the ATI card and now i have audio working perfectly with w7 64 and i get bitstreaming on XBMC / MPC-HC / TMT3 & TMT5 / w7 Media center.

Sorry about my bad english GL with your problem and stating that my main conclusion is that Intel drivers for video/audio HDMi have some imcompability with Onkyo receivers like i said i spent more then 1 month with a lot of diferent configurations and had no luck. Same configurations with ATI 6850 they all worked 100% with ZERO HDMI issues.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/19566173

You can't bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD MA via optical.

Thank you, I already know that
this is why I am having issues with the HDMI audio hence asking for help lol

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy arcanjo /forum/post/19564931

I´ve spent more then 1 month trying to get my H55 MOBO + I5 560 working with my onkyo 508 amp. No luck at all with audio with the same issues you talking, "HDMI" sign keeps blinking on the receiver. I used many tutorials and a lot of diferent software playback/codecs and still no luck. After this i decided to add an Nvidia gtx460 and it almost solved my problem and i say almost coz to my audio works 100% without any issues i had to turn PC with the TV ( LG 50 PS7000 ) disconnected it was the only way to get the Onkyo stable. So i said to me i can´t stay with a "almost" solved system and i changed the Nvidia 460 with an ATI 6850 and guess what i got the perfect system. It seems my Onkyo 508 receiver enjoyed the ATI card and now i have audio working perfectly with w7 64 and i get bitstreaming on XBMC / MPC-HC / TMT3 & TMT5 / w7 Media center.

Sorry about my bad english GL with your problem and stating that my main conclusion is that Intel drivers for video/audio HDMi have some imcompability with Onkyo receivers like i said i spent more then 1 month with a lot of diferent configurations and had no luck. Same configurations with ATI 6850 they all worked 100% with ZERO HDMI issues.

Just out of curiosity which version of XBMC are you using? Also my problem is not with the audio when bitstreaming.. I can bitstream via HDMI in XBMC DSplayer at 50hz with no problems. However when I change the video to 24p thats when the audio keeps cutting out but video still ok!

Are you using 24p refresh rate in XBMC or 50hz?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
He doesn't even say whether he is running xbmc, or merely providing generic advice on bitstreaming. Did you even have a look at my last post - seriously try the Dharma RC1 branch and at least troubleshoot where your problem lies, if it works OK then at least we know your problem lies in DSPlayer and not your i3 or Onkyo amp config.

Make sure you back up your library before upgrading, will make it easier should you wish to revert back to an earlier build (System\\Video\\Library\\Export Library - I choose to export to seperate files - compiles .nfo and fanart/poster work within the movie folder.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman /forum/post/19567016

Just out of curiosity which version of XBMC are you using? Also my problem is not with the audio when bitstreaming.. I can bitstream via HDMI in XBMC DSplayer at 50hz with no problems. However when I change the video to 24p thats when the audio keeps cutting out but video still ok!

Try WASAPI for the HDMI audio if you have not done so and use

Fullscreen for the video. Don't use a full screen window.

Additionally try forcing desktop refresh rate to 24Hz and see if

the problem goes away. It may flip the symptoms such that 50Hz refresh will start dropping audio.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman /forum/post/19567014

Thank you, I already know that
this is why I am having issues with the HDMI audio hence asking for help lol

Sorry, I misread your post. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be of much help since I only use Win7 and TMT3.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia /forum/post/19567246

Try WASAPI for the HDMI audio if you have not done so and use

Fullscreen for the video. Don't use a full screen window.

Additionally try forcing desktop refresh rate to 24Hz and see if

the problem goes away. It may flip the symptoms such that 50Hz refresh will start dropping audio.

Thank you I have tried all of these but still no joy
.. I even tried them with the Dharma RC1 tonight and audio still cuts out when changed to 24hz.. I forced the desktop to 24hz and still the same but with optical audio all sound is working perfect and sounds great!.. However I wanted to be able to get the sound via HDMI for bitstreaming!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman /forum/post/19572110

Thank you I have tried all of these but still no joy
.. I even tried them with the Dharma RC1 tonight and audio still cuts out when changed to 24hz.. I forced the desktop to 24hz and still the same but with optical audio all sound is working perfect and sounds great!.. However I wanted to be able to get the sound via HDMI for bitstreaming!

The steps below assume you are using the default confluence skin.

In System->Video Settings->Playback :

1)Select "Adjust Display Rate to match video"

2)Un-select "Sync playback to display"

In System->System->Video Output

1)Set "Vertical blank sync" to "Always enabled"

2)Un-select "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen"

If that does not work for you, see if you can replicate the problem on MPC-HC

with auto refresh switching.

If you can, it is likely a problem with the Intel HDMI implementation. XBMC

also does not work well with Intel.

You have 2 main options

1)Try to fix the 24Hz EDID exchange between Intel HDMI and the Onkyo

2)Get rid the Intel implementation and use an AMD 5xxx or 6xxx series card.

The first option is quite involved.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia /forum/post/19573151

The steps below assume you are using the default confluence skin.

In System->Video Settings->Playback :

1)Select "Adjust Display Rate to match video"

2)Un-select "Sync playback to display"

In System->System->Video Output

1)Set "Vertical blank sync" to "Always enabled"

2)Un-select "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen"

If that does not work for you, see if you can replicate the problem on MPC-HC

with auto refresh switching.

If you can, it is likely a problem with the Intel HDMI implementation. XBMC

also does not work well with Intel.

You have 2 main options

1)Try to fix the 24Hz EDID exchange between Intel HDMI and the Onkyo

2)Get rid the Intel implementation and use an AMD 5xxx or 6xxx series card.

The first option is quite involved.

Hello,

I have tried all your suggestions before and no joy.. However I would like to try to use MPC - HC as the main player... I think the main player now in the Dharma RC1 for my MKV files is some other player not MPC.. Can you please advise me how to implement MPC-HC in to Dharma RC1? and will I be using this as an external player or will it be an internal player? as I like the internal player option where I can actually go into the options etc..

Also another quick question.. Will I notice a difference when bitstreaming? Most movies are .mkv 1500kbps DTS and optical already supports that.. or does the HDMI have a different tone etc in audio (clearer etc..?)

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman
Hello,

I have tried all your suggestions before and no joy.. However I would like to try to use MPC - HC as the main player... I think the main player now in the Dharma RC1 for my MKV files is some other player not MPC.. Can you please advise me how to implement MPC-HC in to Dharma RC1? and will I be using this as an external player or will it be an internal player? as I like the internal player option where I can actually go into the options etc..
I suggest you try getting MPC-HC standalone running first before

integrating it with XBMC

XBMC with MPC-HC as an external player:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...media_playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman
Also another quick question.. Will I notice a difference when bitstreaming? Most movies are .mkv 1500kbps DTS and optical already supports that.. or does the HDMI have a different tone etc in audio (clearer etc..?)

Thanks..
If the Onkyo is doing the decoding there will be no audible difference.

HDMI audio is a step backwards in terms of reliability and interoperability

as the issues you are having demonstrates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.