AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my friend to repair his HTPC and can't figure out what's going on and hope someone here can give me something to go on...

It was running fine for long time and after moving, it is not able to boot up. I picked up his HTPC and first try, I experienced the same problem. Up to windows boot up and then just blue screen crash. I wiped his OS drive using CopyWipe and every time during the W7 OS last step installation, after reboot, it just goes to blue screen and dead. No matter what I tried it is the same. I take a look without taking apart and looks fine. Anything you guys can think of, please send it this way. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Is it overheating? DUST!

Thats my guess since its older.

Otherwise the only way to troubleshoot is to take components out and individually test each part to see that it does indeed boot in another system.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You said it was running fine for quite a while - was that with Win7? If so, then you either have a hardware problem or something in the bios was changed.

Test the power supply first to make sure it's operating properly. If you don't have a tester, get one from NewEgg - they're inexpensive and invaluable. First, though, just try re-seating the power connector on the mobo. This is not an uncommon problem after movement. The fact that the system was moved suggests that something just came loose, so checking every connection is mandatory. It could be something as innocuous as a fan or a front panel connector.

Go into the bios and make sure it's set to default settings.

If this doesn't help, as others suggested, try another hard drive (or run a HD utility to check it before entering the OS).

Next, if it wasn't running 7 before, try installing XP if you have a copy and see if that works. If it does, then you know that you have some hardware 7 doesn't like. Or install a free copy of linux to see if it runs OK.

As suggested, it's a matter of testing each component separately in a logical order to eliminate each possibility. PSUs and HDs are generally the most likely suspects.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It could be a bad drive. If it's been on for a long time then turns off and won't turn back on usually is because of a bad harddrive. run chkdisk on the drive to see if it works fine.

The first step of installation is moving all the files onto the drive and then it reboots and starts from the harddrive.

Does this machine have any other drives? If it's not set to boot from the drive it's installing on then it could popup the error.

What's the BSOD say? They usually have error messages and they're sometimes easier to google and you'll see whats wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can, boot up only what is necessary. Disconnect everything except the boot drive, cpu, memory and motherboard. Take out anything in the expansion slots, unless it has a dedicated vid card. If the blue screen still happens, try replacing one component at a time (if you have extras).

To me the most likely problems are: bad RAM, faulty motherboard, or perhaps a BIOS setting such as RAID enabled.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, and it suddenly stopped working after moving? There's a chance that the HDD got bumped and is now toast.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If it is happening everytime and at the same time, then it sounds like a driver issue. Probably the disk controller. Windows will usually boot with legacy support, and then load the driver during the boot process.

It could be memory, but if it is happening at the same point in time then I think its more software based.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
There is no way to just guess. It could be from moving but moving could have damaged almost anything. The only way is to specifically test each part as we said. If you dont have the spare parts to swap out and test then you need to take it somewhere. Otherwise you will continue to guess forever.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You stated you didn't take it apart. Since you moved I'd bet something came lose. Reseat the video card and memory modules. If still getting BSOD's, since it's older, a quick easy check is to look at the resistors/caps on the MoBo. Are any of them bulging or leaking? Older MoBo's didn't have solid caps (some current ones don't either) and these would bulge and leak after some time, causing MoBo failure and BSOD's related to the portion of the board they regulated current to. My desktop had BSOD's related to the CPU. the caps around that were leaking and eventually the board went dead. CPU, mem, everything else was fine. If you don't see any bad caps, get Memtest and see if the system will survive memtest for 24 hours, if not, most likely the mem is going bad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a similar issue while back, turns out i had AHCI set in Bios, if you have AHCI enabled you may need to add drivers at F6 depending on you HD controller, or you can try HD's as IDE on Bios and see if you can boot it that way. like the other said too, check connections and such.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoronto /forum/post/18301742

I had a similar issue while back, turns out i had AHCI set in Bios, if you have AHCI enabled you may need to add drivers at F6 depending on you HD controller, or you can try HD's as IDE on Bios and see if you can boot it that way. like the other said too, check connections and such.

Win7 has built-in AHCI drivers. This would only happen with XP which would just not recognize the drive, not give BSOD.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/18301882

Win7 has built-in AHCI drivers. This would only happen with XP which would just not recognize the drive, not give BSOD.

Thats what i thought too, but they don't cover all controllers, my case was older board and until i switch to IDE would fail right at the Windows Booting Logo. It happened second time with my wife's laptop. And it does give BSOD with a message related to Device Driver failure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts