AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a Windows 7 32 bit HTPC that plays Bluray discs great (Lite On Bluray drive + Turtle Beach Montego), but I'm already thinking about upgrading my system so it can play TrueHD instead of 'mere' DD 5.1. I had the TB Montego PCI card from my older HTPC that is now 'retired'.

The new PC only has 2 slots: 1 PCIe and 1 PCI. The PCIe is currently occupied by a EVGA GeForce 9400 (using DVI out to 1080p display) and the PCI slot is occupied by the TB Montego (toslink/optical out to receiver).

Bluray playback for 'TrueHD' tracks is fine (if not 'TrueHD' of course) because it is my understanding that every TrueHD track has an embedded Dolby Digital track within, to allow a degree of backward compatibility with older gear. But my Pioneer D912K receiver is now about 6 years old, has no HDMI inputs, etc.

So I'm thinking I need a new receiver and 1 of the following, to get TrueHD audio from my HTPC: 1. HDMI sound card for the PC (would need to be orig PCI, to replace the TB card ---OR--- 2. Replace the GeForce 9400 with a card that has not only a DVI output to use the existing cable to my display, but also has an HDMI out (for audio into the new receiver).

Either of these 2 cards would need to be fully Windows 7 compatible, driver-wise.

Any recommendations? Sounds to me like the cheaper/easier option for the HTPC is to find a Win7-compatible PCI card for HDMI. But what's a good/reliable one? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
You could just grab a Asus HDAV slim (PCI based HDMI sound card) and use your exsisting 9400. That is the only PCI HDMI sound card in exsitence.

Or for the $150 that would cost you could buy a 5750 and have something about 10x as fast for 3D as your 9400, or save $100 and get a 5450.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the suggestions. I'll look into those, and probably go with the HDAV slim since the 9400 works just fine for video, I don't need 3D/gaming graphics power and all that, and I know the 9400 'works' great with Win7.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2boston /forum/post/18245185

Thanks much for the suggestions. I'll look into those, and probably go with the HDAV slim since the 9400 works just fine for video, I don't need 3D/gaming graphics power and all that, and I know the 9400 'works' great with Win7.

You could still go with the 5450 and save yourself some $$, that in turn you could use towards the Receiver. just a thought

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2boston /forum/post/18245185

And a brand new video card wouldn't work great with windows 7?

If you have some undying love for nvida, or are just afraid to change anything I can understand.

But a 5450 will be cooler, use less juice and handle video just as well as a 9400. As well as being able to do bitstreaming with just one card. Also the Asus solution only works with TMT3 (although I think it comes with a copy) but the ATI solutions work with lots of apps, including some open source.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18245564

and a brand new video card wouldn't work great with windows 7?

If you have some undying love for nvida, or are just afraid to change anything i can understand.

But a 5450 will be cooler, use less juice and handle video just as well as a 9400. As well as being able to do bitstreaming with just one card. Also the asus solution only works with tmt3 (although i think it comes with a copy) but the ati solutions work with lots of apps, including some open source.

+1

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a similar question -- I'd like to bitstream HD audio, but my current video card is a GeForce GTS 250. I don't currently have TMT3 and would need a copy of it or PowerDVD to playback BR rips anyway. Given all this:

1. Would I still be better off getting a capable Radeon GPU (5450? 5750?) and buying TMT separately? In other words, would I also see video improvement going from the GTS 250 to one or both of these Radeon cards or would I just be gaining bit-streaming capability?

2. Would there be any problem with my motherboard (ASUS M3N78-EM) or OS (64-bit Windows 7)? I'm fairly inexperienced with computer upgrades so I'm not even sure what compatibility issues I need to worry about.

3. With a Radeon card would I still have to use two separate outputs (i.e., one for video to my TV and one for audio to my AVR) as described here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post13897618 ? Or, would the GPU HDMI output carry both video and audio to the AVR?

Sorry, these are probably pretty basic questions, but I've been going around in circles trying to piece the answer together from different places.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcason /forum/post/18247060

I have a similar question -- I'd like to bitstream HD audio, but my current video card is a GeForce GTS 250. I don't currently have TMT3 and would need a copy of it or PowerDVD to playback BR rips anyway. Given all this:

1. Would I still be better off getting a capable Radeon GPU (5450? 5750?) and buying TMT separately? In other words, would I also see video improvement going from the GTS 250 to one or both of these Radeon cards or would I just be gaining bit-streaming capability?

2. Would there be any problem with my motherboard (ASUS M3N78-EM) or OS (64-bit Windows 7)? I'm fairly inexperienced with computer upgrades so I'm not even sure what compatibility issues I need to worry about.

3. With a Radeon card would I still have to use two separate outputs (i.e., one for video to my TV and one for audio to my AVR) as described here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post13897618 ? Or, would the GPU HDMI output carry both video and audio to the AVR?

Sorry, these are probably pretty basic questions, but I've been going around in circles trying to piece the answer together from different places.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank.

1. If you don't do any gaming but just need a card for video playback I would recommend the Sapphire 5670

2. Should not be a problem with either the mobo or W7 x64

3. Yes, HDMI would go from 5670 to AVR (carries both audio and video)

You don't need TMT if you plan on playing back standalone m2ts/mkv files, only if you are looking to play back an actual blu ray disc (whether physical or ripped)

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
if you don't do any gaming the 5570 is a bit cheaper and cooler and can run all the post processing effects.

if you just want good VA-Deinterlacing + bitstreaming the 5450 can do it for $50.

compatiblity issues between mobos and video cards is an issue from like 1988 when we were still setting IRQ jumpers on expansion cards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts