AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build my parents a budget all-in-one HTPC. It basically need to only do a few things:

1) Record and playback HDTV

2) Playback DVDs and Blu-Ray

3) Basic other media functionality (YouTube, Netflix, Music, Photos, etc.)

Here's the build I've outlined:
  1. CPU AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) $80
  2. Motherboard ECS A75F-M2 FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $62
  3. HDD SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $120
  4. Optical Drive ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM $52
  5. RAM Crucial 4GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module $22
  6. WiFi Card Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter (2T3R) Up to 300Mbps Wireless Download Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK (TKIP and AES) Vista/Win7 $25
  7. TV Tuner Card Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner w/ MPEG-2 Encoder PCI-E x1 - OEM $100
  8. Case/ Power Supply Rosewill R379-M Black/ Silver 0.8mm SGCC Steel Slim MicroATX Computer Case with ATX12V Flex 300W Power Supply $50
  9. Input Device Logitech K400 (920-003070) Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard $35
  10. HDMI Cable Rosewill - Pellucid HD Series High Speed HDMI® cable (6 FEET) $5
  11. VGA Converter PC MAC VGA to TV AV Composite RCA S-Video Converter Box - Special Clearance $20

Total: $571

The goal was to keep it under $550, but I've gone a bit over. The VGA converter is so they can use it now with their old CRT TV before they upgrade to an HDMI capable TV. And I don't really want to spend the money on an SSD, I know they're wonderful, but I'm already a bit over budget without one.

I plan to use a stripped-down version of Windows 7 as the OS (I already have a license), or maybe even Windows 7 embedded, but that lacks a bit of functionality, and I want to leave the options a bit more open.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions and advice. This is my first build, but I'm pretty tech savvy. Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would use WMC for the DVR and pictures portion. And install Zinc for Youtube and Netflix. PowerDVD creates a shortcut inside of WMC for Blu-ray playback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. WMC seems good and easy to use. And I have an old WMC remote that came with an old laptop, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered it. Hopefully everything works out. Scrapped the WiFi card because I found an old one to use and upgraded the processor a bit. Here's the final spec sheet:

1. CPU AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz $85
  2. Motherboard ECS A75F-M2 FM1 AMD A75 $62
  3. HDD Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM $100
  4. Optical Drive ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive $49
  5. RAM Crucial 4GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 $25
  6. TV Tuner Card Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner w/ MPEG-2 Encoder PCI-E x1 - OEM $95
  7. Case/ Power Supply Rosewill R379-M Black/ Silver MicroATX Computer Case with ATX12V Flex 300W Power Supply $50
  8. Input Device Logitech K400 (920-003070) Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard $35
  9. HDMI Cable Rosewill - Pellucid HD Series High Speed HDMI® cable (6 FEET) $5

The total was about $530 after shipping. Can't wait until I get to put it together.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
For the current $50 price for a 60GB Intel 330, you really ought to at least think about adding an SSD.

Hey, you knocked $41 off your cost, after all. . . you're almost there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmm... You didn't get much feedback it seems :p

I don't know much about AMD processors and have always favored Intel so I would've opted for an Intel processor.

Intel G620 (65$) and ASRock H61M/U3S3 (67$) would have saved you 15$.

And I would have gotten a nicer case with that 15$... Like say a Silverstone ML03B for 60$

Probably would have added a SSD for the OS.

But then that starts looking like what I built 2 weeks ago :p

Good luck with your build!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBel  /t/1415477/htpc-build-for-my-parents#post_22132686

Hmm... You didn't get much feedback it seems :p

I don't know much about AMD processors and have always favored Intel so I would've opted for an Intel processor.

Intel G620 (65$) and ASRock H61M/U3S3 (67$) would have saved you 15$.

And I would have gotten a nicer case with that 15$... Like say a Silverstone ML03B for 60$

Probably would have added a SSD for the OS.

But then that starts looking like what I built 2 weeks ago :p
Good luck with your build!!

I've always been an intel guy too, but with the performance/ price on the A6 series, it's looks like a great value for an HTPC. Especially with pretty decent onboard graphics. Hopefully it works out well. And I realize I cut some cost on the case, but hopefully it gets the job done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1415477/htpc-build-for-my-parents#post_22132522

For the current $50 price for a 60GB Intel 330, you really ought to at least think about adding an SSD.

Hey, you knocked $41 off your cost, after all. . . you're almost there.

An SSD might still be in the cards, I do love the one I put in my laptop.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanMSU  /t/1415477/htpc-build-for-my-parents#post_22132782

I've always been an intel guy too, but with the performance/ price on the A6 series, it's looks like a great value for an HTPC. Especially with pretty decent onboard graphics. Hopefully it works out well. And I realize I cut some cost on the case, but hopefully it gets the job done.

An SSD might still be in the cards, I do love the one I put in my laptop.

You have it backwards. The value is Intel right now.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanMSU  /t/1415477/htpc-build-for-my-parents#post_22128197

I want to build my parents a budget all-in-one HTPC. It basically need to only do a few things:

1) Record and playback HDTV

2) Playback DVDs and Blu-Ray

3) Basic other media functionality (YouTube, Netflix, Music, Photos, etc.)

Lots of people around here do all of those things with a G620. If you just ordered, it's still worth considering and it'll save money like others have pointed out. DX11 isn't going to reap any rewards for the above criteria

I saw your other thread on slim W7 installs, and I would recommend checking the run WMC at startup option when doing the initial WMC setup. Check "Media-Only Mode" and you'll be pretty safe for the parents. Make sure to install TeamViewer or something similar for remote troubleshooting. I'm planning this for my parents as well, but not till Christmas season

1 - 10 of 10 Posts