AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me much energy goes into getting all the devices in one case. This creates problems then with heat and then noise. Assuming you can get back the wife thinks its ugly issue, why not use more stand-alone devices?

For example, rather than an internal BlueRay/DVD player, why not use an external BluRay/DVD player?

Can a HomeRun work to move the digital decoding out of the main HTPC? Where do people hook those up, and how do you use?

For that matter, can an external usb harddrive be used (other than for backup) as part of a HTPC system?

·
Registered
23,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/16852168

It seems to me much energy goes into getting all the devices in one case. This creates problems then with heat and then noise.

Not exactly, a PC's standard, main components (CPU, Graphics, Sound card) can handle basically anything any standalone can do. This is sort of how the whole HTPC thing started. An HTPC by it's nature has all the hardware necessary to play back most any audio/video you can think of. You aren't cramming "all the devices" into one case, you're replacing a number of devices with a single device that has the capabilities of all of the ones it replaces.

It's "just" a matter of software making use of that hardware.

The only time heat/noise become serious issues is if you want to start combining your HTPC (playback device) with mass media storage. HDDs are hard to cool/quiet, so if you want many TBs of media storage it's quite a challenge to get that into a frontend box and keep it cool.

Quote:
Assuming you can get back the wife thinks its ugly issue, why not use more stand-alone devices?

The idea for many here is to have the whole system integrated and seamless. That's something that it's hard to do to the same level with standalones. With DVD it's quite easy. One interface/remote setup can control your TV, media, movies, music, DVDs. This is a very nice setup.

That said, with Blu-ray now, basically there's no integrated interface on the PC side. PowerDVD has no 10' UI, TMT has one but it's not the same as anything else (WMC/SageTV/etc). And since you've got to run multiple apps for Blu-ray vs everything else, that's two big advantages of HTPCs gone out the window.

I now use a Pioneer 51FD for my BD playback, a SageTV HD Theater for all my TV/Media, and a URC MX-880 to control it and it's as integrated/seamless (if not more so) than SageTV+PowerDVD was when I was running my HTPC. And I haven't lost any functionality.

Quote:
For example, rather than an internal BlueRay/DVD player, why not use an external BluRay/DVD player?

I assume you're talking a BD-rom drive vs a standalone Blu-ray player. The reason to not use an external BD standalone is that you've already got a PC with the CPU/graphics power to play BD, and being a PC it's got an optical drives slot, so why not stick a BD-rom drive in, install some software and save the shelf space of a standalone BD player.

You must understand that the BD-rom isn't a BD player, it doesn't play BDs, it just reads the bits off the disc and passes them to the PC. Blu-ray players (standalones) have the same sort of BD-rom drives you buy for PCs, but instead of a PC, they have special-purpose hardware/software just for playing BDs.

Quote:
Can a HomeRun work to move the digital decoding out of the main HTPC?

The Silicondust HD Homerun is a ATSC TV tuner. It allows tuning/capture of digital broadcast TV. That's it. It passes the broadcast data to the PC where it is either played/displayed or recorded to HDD.

Quote:
For that matter, can an external usb harddrive be used (other than for backup) as part of a HTPC system?

Sure, but it's probably not as good as an internal one.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/16852168

It seems to me much energy goes into getting all the devices in one case. This creates problems then with heat and then noise.

A typical power consumption of, for example, the microATX mid-range Intel/Intel system is ~100W at BD playback using an internal BD optical drive. I don't see any heat/noise problem at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.