1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

• Antec Fusion Remote Max

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC PS

MSI DKA790GX Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Black Edition Processor Model HD875ZWCGHBOX - Retail

ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler - Retail

OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2F10664GK - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro (2.0) - Retail

LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GGC-H20L - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

From the AMD/AMD midrange guide:

Changed to the MSI board, in particular the platinum based on Renethx's recommendation. I'm guessing to get the 1Gb Sideport memory. Using the onboard 3300 is then acceptable or would I be better served getting the standard board with a 4670? 50 dollar difference in price worth the performance?

Changed the RAM to 4GB for the same price and up to PC8500. Is there a reason I should stick to 800? Stability?

Upped the hard drive to a 1TB for DVD backup. Will probably add a second later on.

Am I missing any important components or incompatability issues?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to look this over. This will be my first HTPC and would like to not make any severe rookie mistakes.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Overall, pretty decent looking specs. and should be rather powerful.

Some of it may be a tad overkill, depending on what your end goals are.

I am running the MSI 7411 board with the integrated 5.1 amp card and the thing is awesome. However, my opinion is skewed since I helped spec the board out in the first place.

It is a 780 based solution so no discrete card is needed. 790 is another great chipset so it should do well for you should you stay with it.

While, it is good for me if you stay with the Phenom 8750, it may be overkill unless you think you are going to be streaming content to extenders now or down the road.

What are you doing for audio. Great video is one thing, but if you are not addressing your audio needs, it may not be quite as powerful an experience.

By the way, you might want to read about the MSI 7411 here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1003579

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was curious about the audio. Renethx said I shouldn't worry about the audio since I'm sending it to a new Onkyo 606 receiver. I would prefer to do this the most lossless way possible since this is going to be my Blu-ray player.

From what I've read the 3300 IGP will only support 5.1 over the HDMI while the HD4dx series will do 7.1. It seems going with the platinum board would be a waste of money since I need to get the discrete card for my 7.1 receiver.

Renethx, if you stumble across this thread let me know if there's some other reason I should go with the platinum. Otherwise I think I'm going to downgrade my motherboard and get a 4670.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Yes, but if you go with the MSI 7411 board, you can get the one with the 7.1 pre amp card. It will deliver very impressive audio over to your amp. While not completely lossless, (the s/w player codec vendors need to be convinced that this is not a UAB and therefore, don't need to downsample), it is capable of handling the DTS Master and True HD audio and pass it out the analog outputs.

The 780 graphics can handle all the HD content (1080P, BD, etc.) without needing a discrete GPU card. The boards audio can deliver the rich audio experience to go with the video.

You can check with the folks that already have this solution to get their feedback on the audio/video capabilities.

They are chatting about it in the MSI 7411 thread on these forums.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
If you use Onkyo 606, then you will want 7.1 ch LPCM (lossless) HDMI audio instead of DD 5.1/DTS (lossy) and then you will need a Radeon HD 4xxx card (I recommend HD 4550 or higher). Then you can go with a cheaper processor like Athlon X2 5050e and a cheaper mb like GA-MA78G-DS3H (if you want save money). That's exactly the ATX low-end AMD/AMD system in my recommendations.

X3 8750 is better in, for example, encoding. 790GX (BIOSTAR, GIGABYTE, MSI I mentioned for example) has more features than 780G such as dual PCIe x8 (for CrossFire x8, a graphics card+a RAID controller card, for example) and SB750 (RAID 5 and Advanced Clock Calibration [ACC]). But SidePort memory is useless unless you connect another display to the onboard video and watch, for example, HDTV programs. Radeon HD 4670 is better than HD 4550 in post-processing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm also going to be ripping all my dvds with this machine so the extra processing power could save me a lot of time.

The 7411 7.1 doesn't seem to be available at Newegg, as well as being a bit out of my price range.

I'll probably look at the Biostar mentioned. I work in an IT environment and we've had issues with Gigabyte motherboards blowing or pooching capacitors after 2-3 years...every single one, across multiple models.

Last thing, should I stick with 800mhz RAM for stability?...many of these boards support 1066 with AM2+.

·
Registered
379 Posts
DDR2 1066Mhz and AM2+ = better performance

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
You can buy 1066 cheap, go for it. Practically there is little performance difference between 800 and 1066 in most applications, though. BTW blowing or pooching capacitors is a past story. "D" version uses all solid capacitors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update on my build. Everything went fine but I accidentally ordered the wrong graphics card without noticing it. I got the MSI4670 in the mail without realizing I had selected it. The card unfortunately doesn't come with a built-in HDMI port or even come with a DVI-HDMI adapter. I tried using one I had laying around the house but it had come from my gaming PC's 2900 card and wouldn't pass sound.

Big thanks to everyone who helped and for all the threads I went through so I was prepared for most of this. The hardware and software setups were much easier for it. Just gotta get this card returned and pick up the HIS or ASUS version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts