Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys getting an HP desktop, specs:

# Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8400 [2.66GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]

# SAVE $30! 8GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

# FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB

# Integrated graphics - Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 [VGA]

is it worth 50 bucks to upgrade to the Q9300?

also they are offering a HD4350 for 50 bucks...is that worth it or should i just save up for a better card?

this is really just for my daily internet use and movies via HDMI to my receiver

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Definately not worth the CPU upgrade. You're already way over spec for just internet browsing and HTPC usage.

It's worth upgrading to a 4350, but you can get them for less than $50 . There's not much point in going higher than a 4350 unless you intend to do some gaming on this PC as well.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
8gb DDR3? Q8400?

Does it have a BD drive?

I would think it through as to why you are going with this specific machine/part selection for your needs.

Think about what other options are out there that would better suit your needs.

Do you have a receiver that supports MPCM via HDMI? If so, get a 4*** series GPU.

How much is this machine? $800ish?

Go with a processor that "suit's you needs" such as the E5200, opposed to spending much more on a processor you won't utilize.

If you want to backup your media, go with a bigger drive, 1TB +, since they are very cheap these days. Even pre-built systems have them, although customizing pre-built systems (or building from scratch even) is very easy and usually cheaper as they usually charge a big premium for such upgrades.

Go with PC2 6400 Ram, 4GB MAX, IMO.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Blu Ray i use my PS3 for that. but i may in the future use this in another room so i might add a Blu Ray

the memory is overkill but it was with the deal . actually came out to about 525

1 - 5 of 5 Posts