AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has already been discussed.but a search didn't show exactly what I'm looking for.

Right now my gaming PC has been sacrificed to my media cabinet as is doing double duty as an HTPC and I'm still trying to game with it via very long usb and HDMI cables. I need something that can just literally fire up XBMC and play my movies and shows. Added bonuses would be the ability to run Spotify and get on the web. Which both of those things seem like they can even be run through XBMC these days, which is perfect.

All of my media is on a NAS box and so storage is not an issue at all. I just want the best and most convenient way to play my media in 1080P and digital surround sound. I'm hoping you guys can help recommend a simple build, or maybe a ready-made solution. Or even if there is something better than an HTPC to suit my needs. I just really love the layout and flow of XBMC and the fact that I can browse all the media on my tablet is a nice bonus.

So again, it's strictly movies and TV shows streaming from my NAS. Added bonus is to still keep Spotify and web functionality.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky  /t/1468681/htpc-built-for-xbmc#post_23214456

XBMCBuntu...Openelec... read a bit more...

Thanks. I've never used Linux before but these don't seem overly complicated. Will a barebones PC build still give me enough power to display 1080P smoothly? Also, these OS's don't appear to need very much memory, what kind of hard drive can I get away with for something like this? I'd like to do some type of solid state, do they make small/cheap ssd's, or should I just run the whole thing off of a USB?

·
Registered
392 Posts
i'll admit usb is kinda slow at starting up however it isn't so slow that you would have the urge to pull hair or nerd rage over.

If you can get past that, using an old flash drive or even buying a cheap 8-16gig drive will save money over buying a smaller ssd.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not sure about your setup but here is a suggestion. Depending on your NAS you might be able to run plex media server on it. If that is possible get your self a roku and the roku plex app, and the spotify app and you should be all set. If your nas cant run plex media server you can use a old pc you might have laying around run the plex server..

If you can find an apple tv2 you can hack it to run xbmc and just stream from your nas but your limited to only 720p.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmstrong  /t/1468681/htpc-built-for-xbmc#post_23215629

Thanks. I've never used Linux before but these don't seem overly complicated. Will a barebones PC build still give me enough power to display 1080P smoothly? Also, these OS's don't appear to need very much memory, what kind of hard drive can I get away with for something like this? I'd like to do some type of solid state, do they make small/cheap ssd's, or should I just run the whole thing off of a USB?

I just went with the Intel Celeron NUC ($164.99 on Amazon) which I have running openelec off a USB thumb drive and so far it's working great for me. Runs 1080p smoothly and with HD audio. The only other things you'd need are SO-DIMM memory and a mickey mouse power cord (both of which I already had lying around so didn't cost me anything). If you're deciding whether you want an SSD for the performance boost my suggestion would be to just try it off a thumb drive first to see if you actually think you need it.

BTW I'm new to Linux too but it really wasn't complicated at all. The most difficult thing was just getting it to boot off the install stick the first time but that wasn't a Linux issue it was just because I changed a BIOS setting on the NUC that I shouldn't have and wound up having to fiddle with the BIOS jumper to reset it. After that everything was smooth just from referencing the Openelec install wiki and the XBMC setup guide on this forum.

Hope that helps and good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts