Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I got this cable to go from a switcher which is conn to my HTPC vis VGA-BNC cable to my CRT PJ.

It is 5 pieces of RG59U cable (25' each) with 5 BNCs on each end all kept together by black expandable (when you push the ends together) protective tubing. I am not sure if the BNCs are true 75 OHM.

So I guess my questions are.

Is RG59U suitable and is there any way to tell if the BNCs are good?

I can not see any visible distotions viewing test patterns but I really have no other similar cables to compare to and am wondering if I should maybe try a diff cable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Guys

I got this cable to go from a switcher which is conn to my HTPC vis VGA-BNC cable to my CRT PJ.

It is 5 pieces of RG59U cable (25' each) with 5 BNCs on each end all kept together by black expandable (when you push the ends together) protective tubing. I am not sure if the BNCs are true 75 OHM.

So I guess my questions are.

Is RG59U suitable and is there any way to tell if the BNCs are good?

I can not see any visible distotions viewing test patterns but I really have no other similar cables to compare to and am wondering if I should maybe try a diff cable.
Sounds like it should be fine. If you want to throw money at the "problem" :), buy an MP-1 modded Radeon video card. That'll be a much larger improvement in PQ than any incremental improvement from upgrading your long run video cable.

To determine (not conclusively, but a pretty good indicator) if the BNCs are 75 or 50 ohm, look at the plastic dielectric inside the male connector. If it's clearly visible at the top of the connector, it's (probably) 50ohm. If it's recessed to the "back" of the connector, it's (probably) 75 ohm. All that said, if you're throwing a test pattern at it and can't see any reflection issues, you're almost certainly "close enough" that you won't see any issues with real video either.

---Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.