Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to HTPC and plan on jumping right in... I just can't decide between these cases...

Am I correct in comparing these two cases? They seem to me to be in the same 'class' -- or am I wrong? Is something like the Vision II built much better than the DIGN 4?

Currently the DIGN 4 is available for $205 and the Vision 2 is $299.

I like the DIGN because of the cheaper price, front Firewire/USB, Reset Button (however, they both look 'cheap'), and immediate availability (I can just drive to ExoticPC and pick it up). However, the 'trap door' thing seems cheesy, the 'inner-case' seems more difficult than the Vision, and the front look isn't as balanced as the Vision.

I like the Vision because it 'looks' like it built better, I like the larger VFD and center placement, cool power button, 3.5" exposed bay (for floppy or media card reader), Independent top/side panels...

I am sure there are other items that I forgot to mention... but I can't think of them now. I plan on getting the black version of either case... Which may make the DIGN a bit more attractive to me because the 'trap door' lines will be less noticeable... Which bring me to the question: what color is UNDER the lift-door of the Vision for a black case? Most pictures I have seen look like it's the grey case inside color... but I have seen a couple pictures that make me think it is black.

Anyway, I really don't know which one to jump on... I would love to know your options. I highly apologize if this topic has been discussed, I really did use the search function.

Thanks for your opinions,

Leo

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I Too am looking for a new case for my HTPC and looking at both of those and leaning towards the Vision2, but I remember a case (not the atech heatsink case) that allowed you to mount a slot-load dvd player behind the front panel (unless I was dreaming at the time) Does anyone know of that case that I am refering to, and if so, could you please post a link?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought the Vision2, and I'm awaiting shipment on the 16th. Why? I wanted a full ATX motherboard, and I really liked the layout. Also being able to purchase my own PS was a plus, even if the price of the unit it high.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the DIGN 4 and I am getting ready to switch to the Visions II. The DIGN is fine if you have never had another case but it doesn't compare to a CoolerMaster. I also have the ATC 610 and in my opinion it is put together much better. The DIGN trap door is cheap and clunky, the front USB and Firewire are put together poorly. Mine has globs of glue holding them in place. And I had to re-wire everything to get it working, ie the VFD, USB, etc. Maybe I got the first batch but the DIGN is not worth $200.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
what aspects make you lean toward the Vision 2?
IMO, it looks better (which is a big plus) , but all the features of it, I am currently using 3 harddrives( it handles that), wiring being hidden under the motherboard is a plus for air circulation, I love the flip up top area of the Vision 2, the money back guarantee.

Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
can we throw the atech case into the mix for comparision/opinions too? =)

availability and price seem like the biggest drawbacks.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I have a DIGN4 on order from ExoticPC. I decided to go with this one because a like the design (at least from the outside) and to be able to use full ATX MB. An A-Tech case would have been nice too, but availability, (and price), and that it has only 1 external bay made me decide against it. Based on otter's comment I now hope I will not be disappointed with the craftsmanship/quality (which is very important to me) of the DIGN case…

But first it has to get here.....

_________

Axel

·
Registered
464 Posts
personally I would try and wait to see if Serge (power) does another retrofit run.. his prices are a good bit cheaper then all these mentioned, and it's built ontop of an Antec case.. of which we all know is high quality.

plus it looks like some of the upper end HT gear, as far as it's finish and silk screening. you should see a post about it on this forum

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I know some people had problems when ordering the firt Vision cases in this thread . I don't know if the Vision II's are any better and nobody will know untill they ship. I to am looking into these cases but I think I'll wait to see what others have to say.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Otter,

When did you purchase your DIGN 4? What color did you get? I read that the trap door was supposed to be quality (like the front plate)... does it 'fall down' when you open it? Or is it more stiff and can stay 'perpendicular' to to the front plate?

Thanks,

Leo

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteroMAdMAn
I know some people had problems when ordering the firt Vision cases
I am one of the original Vision owners. The problems with this first case revolved around a non-computer case company trying to design a computer case. Many of the features were so VERY close to being done right, but were just enough off to make installation a real pain. I was willing to fight through the installation problems--took about 2 days!!--and ended up with a nice case. I will still upgrade to the Vision2 because of the improvements--especially the new design that allows easier access into the computer for future upgrades. The construction of the faceplate is beautiful. It is not cheap looking or feeling in any way. The layout of the interior is spacious and should now be excellent since the construction problems appear to be solved. The case also runs cool, even with the limited airflow of the original design (the new one has room for three more fans if needed.) If Digitalis has truly corrected their errors, then I think this case will be in a class all by its self for HTPCs. The fact that they are offering full money back guarantees speaks to me that they are confident. I am also blown away by the fact they are letting those of us who lived through the first version upgrade for free. I think that level of customer service speaks volumes about their company and product. We will not know how good or bad Vision2 is until it ships, but if I were a betting man, I would bet this one will be a winner.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SCM
I am one of the original Vision owners. The problems with this first case revolved around a non-computer case company trying to design a computer case. Many of the features were so VERY close to being done right, but were just enough off to make installation a real pain. I was willing to fight through the installation problems--took about 2 days!!--and ended up with a nice case. I will still upgrade to the Vision2 because of the improvements--especially the new design that allows easier access into the computer for future upgrades. The construction of the faceplate is beautiful. It is not cheap looking or feeling in any way. The layout of the interior is spacious and should now be excellent since the construction problems appear to be solved. The case also runs cool, even with the limited airflow of the original design (the new one has room for three more fans if needed.) If Digitalis has truly corrected their errors, then I think this case will be in a class all by its self for HTPCs. The fact that they are offering full money back guarantees speaks to me that they are confident. I am also blown away by the fact they are letting those of us who lived through the first version upgrade for free. I think that level of customer service speaks volumes about their company and product. We will not know how good or bad Vision2 is until it ships, but if I were a betting man, I would bet this one will be a winner.
I agree, this case should be a winner! But alas I don't have all the parts I need to make a HTPC so I'm still gonna hold out and see what you say about the case and if they truly looked at the problems and fixed them. I believe they have and did, but again I don't need this today, tommorow or by the end of December so I am going to wait.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Leo,

I purchased mine in the power buy. I have two black ones, a 3se and 4 se. When you open the trap door it just falls. The door is not tight and can be rattled around when opened. I have two of these cases and have tried to sell one, but now after seeing the quality of other cases available I am not sure I would feel comfortable selling someone these cases.

Otter

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the reply Otter,

I recently inquired about the issues with Peter over at ExoticPC (he is a real nice guy BTW)... he was his reply:

Quote:
The DIGN cases we're shipping right now have most of the issues resolved, the door has a door stopper on it, the Front USB and firewire ports are not glued on but bracketed, the VFD is prewired, just needs to be screwed on and nothing needs any rewiring done.
I know once a company screws up, its hard to trust them... but I figured it would be important to post this to help others that are trying to make a decision.

-Leo

·
Registered
55 Posts
My new black DIGN 4se just arrived yesterday.

After having a perfectly constructed black aluminum tower from Directron, I am adjusting to the not-quite-perfect' build of the DIGN. However, I bought it (1) after reading all the comments that people had with it, and (2) scared away from the debacle that happening with the Digitalis/Vision case.

Here's my mini-review of the DIGN:

1. The exterior is very attractive brushed black and will fit very nicely as my htpc next to my a/v receiver.

2. I had a little bit of a struggle getting the case off and on. Screws not perfectly aligned, so a little elbow grease is required.

3. My black DVD-rom had a difficult time getting in one of the two exposed slots behind the trap door. A little elbow grease required.

4. My Soyo Dragon Ultra mobo fit perfectly. No problems yet.

I have not installed any more of my components (need some free time), and will probably do so this eve. The VFD looks like it's in good order, however I don't see any screw holes to screw it in. The USB/Firewire is screwed down, so that seems fine (people had problems with it in the past it seems).

Basically it looks great. And will take a little work to get everything in the case - as usual. Given the number of pc's I've built, that comes as no surprise. Murphy's law.

Questions?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Leo,

If they fixed the problems then it sounds great. I hope you great a nice case. Your right about me getting burned and I will be staying away from them. I wish they had the money back gurantee

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I received my DIGN4e (silver) from ExoticPC yesterday (Peter, many thanks again for your help to make it happen!). Case looks very nice and I am very pleased.

I spend the last hours migrating my existing system from this “low profile sound dampened DigitalConnection desk top case†(, which is now for sale in case anybody is interested;) ) to the DIGN4 (and made a few upgrades, since I had it already open…:p). Overall, it was a pretty smooth ride.

Originally, I was a little worried about the case’s quality. Even though the inside is not perfect (which I did not expect it to be) the outside looks very professional (which is key for me). I think I made the right choice! This case blends so much better with my HiFi equipment, so I reached my objective.

_________

Axel

·
Registered
300 Posts
The following question remains on my mind: Is the Vision 2 worth $94 more than the current DIGN4e? With the extra cash one could buy a VFD display for the DIGN4e and still have some cash left over that can go towards buying a power supply.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.