AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an nMedia 5000 case and the 60mm case fans on the back are kind of loud. Anyone know of a good replacement set? I run onboard sound and video so the case can't get too hot. Was thinking of just unplugging the fans and running with just the CPU fan. The case has an exhaust port just over the CPU so, I was thinking it might not be too bad. If not, I was hoping to find a good set of quiet fans but, all the fans on newegg have at least a few people saying they are loud. Are there no quiet 60mm fans on the market? Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect! Thanks very much. Haven't done a lot with PCs lately so wasn't aware of that website. Should be good info.

·
Registered
701 Posts
60mm fans are inherently loud, at least if you want any worthwhile airflow, spcr is about as good as you can get for realistic and unbiased fan reviews, I can simply recommend good brands, as I haven't used 60mm fans in a long time, but Noctua generally stands among the best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me ask you this: I run the nMeadiapc 5000 case. I'm using onboard video and audio. I was thinking of trying it without any fans at all. The case is really well venthilated and doesn't seem to get too hot. Was going to try it out and check the temps while viewing a movie. As long as the temps aren't too bad, you see any reason why not to go without any case fans at all? Otherwise, it looks like I'd have to mod the case with some 80mm fans and I'm not sure I want to do that.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Tell us what CPUGPU you're running.

I run this case with an Intel E6300 and onboard video with the CPU fan. I removed the included power supply and installed one that is a similar idea to a PicoPSU so no power supply fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-092-_-Product

It runs quite warm but it doesn't over heat. GPU in the 55C to 60C range and CPU in the 40C to 50C range depending on load. But then, the GPU always seems to be that hot, even right after being powered on. The CPU fan is set to run at 50% I think. The case fan in the front right corner of the case is connected to 7V right now but that's because the HDD I installed was overheating, not because the rest was too hot. I plan on buying a 2.5" drive one day and swapping that drive out and then that case fan can be removed too.

If you look at that case, there's less ventilation than your case so I can't see you having a problem. The vents on top make all the difference since heat rises.

Peter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here's my setup:

Case:

nMediaPC 5000b
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811204035

Mobo:

ASRock A785GMH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157177

CPU:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103681

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122

Like I said earlier, I'm running the onboard audio and video with the stock CPU cooler. There seems like a LOT of venthilation on the case. I thought of going with a Silenx 60mm fan with a low dBA but, with the low CFM I don't know if it will do any good compared to no fans at all. For reference, here's the fans I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835191005

I think I'm going to just try it out at least, then go from there if I need any fan solutions. Thanks for the input, any further comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
701 Posts
SiX fans suck, period. A lot of manufacturers have different ways of measuring their fans sound levels, but SilenX either measures their fans at three meters, from the front of a case with the fan at the rear and then present just the delta in sound level between the ambient sound level and their measured sound level, or they use some other similarly bizarre and misleading method.

You can certainly try running without the fans, if you keep a close eye on things it shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have a small lian li case and all the components are a tight fit. I think I have that same processor as you. I had to remove the 80mm fan on the side to fit my PSU. But my PSU has a 120mm fan on it. Using all stock cooling and just the stock cpu fan and the psu fan and there is one more 80mm fan I get nothing but cool air to the touch coming out of my case. I really think newer processors arent as hot and you really just dont need that much cooling anymore. I would still be careful though. Just because its not hot now doesnt mean it cant heat up. You really need to test this under heavy usage. You might want to run 3dmark or something like 3-4 times in a row to see your temps then. Also the other issue is that even if cooling is efficient now it doesnt mean it always will be. Once dust builds up in your case it might stop cooling as efficiently and suddenly you could be overheating. It should never damage anything but it could cause issues. Just one more reason to always clean your case now and again. Or just constantly upgrade components!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I should add watch the HDD temps when you cut off the case fans. In my case, I'm running the case fan because it blows air at the HDD and the HDD was getting quite warm.

Peter

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just to throw another idea out there: maybe try a 7V mod to slow the fans down, or purchase a fan controller like the zalman fanmate.

I'm runnin 60mm fans in my htpc. I've tried both Vatec stealth 60mm fans (too loud) and the Vantec thermaflow 60mm fans. The thermaflow fans have a built in thermocouple that increases rpm as temps go up, but I found it would run at full speed most of the time because my HTPC is in a cabinet and runs hot, but YMMV. I ended up doing a 7v mod for both stealth and thermaflow fans and they are now inaudible... but don't move much air.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Really even if you had 6 fans if they are silent well then they are silent and they would move more air than none at all. You might just try a couple it wont hurt having more air moving and it wont add much noise if any. I cant hear any fans on mine. The only thing that I hear is the hard drives crunchign when I select something.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18324302

Really even if you had 6 fans if they are silent well then they are silent and they would move more air than none at all. You might just try a couple it wont hurt having more air moving and it wont add much noise if any. I cant hear any fans on mine. The only thing that I hear is the hard drives crunchign when I select something.

Actually that's not how acoustics work, if you have one 20dbA fan and six 20dbA fans then the end result is going to be QUITE different. And if your hard drives are making any sound that could be related to a crunching, you need to back up your data ASAP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18319402

SiX fans suck, period. A lot of manufacturers have different ways of measuring their fans sound levels, but SilenX either measures their fans at three meters, from the front of a case with the fan at the rear and then present just the delta in sound level between the ambient sound level and their measured sound level, or they use some other similarly bizarre and misleading method.

You can certainly try running without the fans, if you keep a close eye on things it shouldn't hurt anything.

Yeah, I was reading on Newegg about that. A lot of people were saying they drastically exaggerated their performance claims. Guess I'll be passing on the SilenX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett /forum/post/18322733

Just to throw another idea out there: maybe try a 7V mod to slow the fans down, or purchase a fan controller like the zalman fanmate.

I'm runnin 60mm fans in my htpc. I've tried both Vatec stealth 60mm fans (too loud) and the Vantec thermaflow 60mm fans. The thermaflow fans have a built in thermocouple that increases rpm as temps go up, but I found it would run at full speed most of the time because my HTPC is in a cabinet and runs hot, but YMMV. I ended up doing a 7v mod for both stealth and thermaflow fans and they are now inaudible... but don't move much air.

That's a good idea. If running the rig without fans becomes an issue, I'll look into that. If nothing else, at least there will be some airflow.

Thanks for all the input. Good to know I have resources to look to when in need.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is interesting as I have an nMEDIAPC 5000b case and the 60mm fans are completely silent. I'm sure they barely work in terms of air flow but they specifically marketed them as quiet fans and they really are. I can't hear my HTPC unless everything in the room is off and I'm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts