AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a decent HTPC case that falls into the $50-75 range. Don't need fancy lcd screens. Just something clean looking(no neon! or bright blue LED fans) and ATX MB size(preferred). uATX is an option. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My vote will go to the CoolerMaster Elite 360, cools very well, though not the most attractive, and very compact for a full ATX system.

·
Registered
288 Posts
nMedia has some decent cases in that price range that aren't that bad looking.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18259361

My vote will go to the CoolerMaster Elite 360, cools very well, though not the most attractive, and very compact for a full ATX system.

My current budget HTPC was built inside of this. All in all, I've been happy with it especially for the price I got it at Frys. The only two downsides for me is the lack of additional 3.5" bays and too much ventilation. There is only one internal 3.5" bay. There is another external 3.5" bay, but when I tried to use it with the included drive rails, my mATX mobo prevented the drive from being pushed back. It can be worked around with a drill and some new holes in the rail, but it still would have been nice for at least a 2nd internal bay.

Also this thing has large openings on the top and bottom (when a tower) as well as 3 areas on the cover. While I don't have any problems with overheating, the air currents can't be optimal this way.

Do you have any ghetto suggestions with a WAF > 0?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 /forum/post/18262484

I like the nMedia cases because they actually fit well with existing stereo components while not blatantly looking like a computer. Have had my case for several years no without a hitch and I like the basic LCD display they come with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811204035

I have the same case and love it. However, while the case is solid and nice looking. It is slightly loud. The 60mm fans on the back have a whine to them. This is pretty much the case with all 60mm fans from what I understand. The nice thing is, the case has a vent hole above where the CPU fan goes. I'm curious as to whether or not, you would just be able to disconnect the 60mm fans on the back and be ok. I run onboard audio and video so I don't have any heat coming from a vid card. If you're running a vid card, you might not be able to get away with turning off the fans. Just some food for thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts