AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to stuff my new Asrock X99 motherboard into my 8 year old Omaura HTPC case and realized the front USB ports aren't USB3.0. Good excuse to get a new case.

I am tired of the usual compromises like a reasonable 7" optical disk drive interfering with the CPU cooler, 11" video card interfering with the 3.5" HDD, CPU cooler must be less than 130mm. You know the drill. Of course large, slow case fans of good quality are appealing.

I was looking at the Silverstone GD09, but I don't think it has an IR window. Does anybody have relevant experiences or suggestions? Appearance wise I like black brushed aluminum and a smooth door covering the ODD, or at least a nice flush mount. Sometimes the case ODD door means a ridiculous case eject button that doesn't really work.

Also, any suggestions on recent IR receivers would be interesting. Motherboard hardware power on is a must. I have been using the IR-310 with iMon software which is old, but has served me well for many years. I love the programmability and the fact I could easily implement a log off button (I leave the HTPC running most of the time). But if I am doing the case upgrade I should at least consider what is out there for IR.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just went to stuff my new Asrock X99 motherboard into my 8 year old Omaura HTPC case and realized the front USB ports aren't USB3.0. Good excuse to get a new case.

I am tired of the usual compromises like a reasonable 7" optical disk drive interfering with the CPU cooler, 11" video card interfering with the 3.5" HDD, CPU cooler must be less than 130mm. You know the drill. Of course large, slow case fans of good quality are appealing.

I was looking at the Silverstone GD09, but I don't think it has an IR window. Does anybody have relevant experiences or suggestions? Appearance wise I like black brushed aluminum and a smooth door covering the ODD, or at least a nice flush mount. Sometimes the case ODD door means a ridiculous case eject button that doesn't really work.

Also, any suggestions on recent IR receivers would be interesting. Motherboard hardware power on is a must. I have been using the IR-310 with iMon software which is old, but has served me well for many years. I love the programmability and the fact I could easily implement a log off button (I leave the HTPC running most of the time). But if I am doing the case upgrade I should at least consider what is out there for IR.
I have the GD09, it does not.
I have a rosewill rs1001 (I think) remote with dongle which I have paired with my harmony ultimate remote and hub.
I just went in the bios setting set the sleep mode s3/s5 thing to USB wake, and it works good.
Also this case has 2 usb 3.0 in the the front if you wish to just stash the dongle to the front.

as far as the log off feature I have no clue unless I go with the remote in WMC to log off, but if I press the off button, systems goes to sleep, tv turns off and so does my receiver.

Remember You can also MOD the front to add the IR sensor, simple drilling and done.

I have a GTX 980 stuffed in this case with more then plenty room for the card.

link to my build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1885561-headache-build.html sadly no photos because my smart genious butt deleted them from my phone when I was transferring them to the pc ... smh

·
Registered
467 Posts

I have been salivating over this one lately. I'm still working on a sales pitch to the wife..

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
That case of yours is relatively rare and no longer made--looks pretty nice too. I'd just get a USB 3.0 extension cable(s) and run it from the back port(s) to the front. I'm sure you can easily hide the cable heads underneath or beside the case, when not in use. This will give you the convenience of having the ports up front, without having to worry about getting another case.

However if there are other needs involved (looks like this is used for gaming since you mention 11" GPU?) then an upgrade may be in order. May want to hang on to that case for another build though ;)

I have been salivating over this one lately. I'm still working on a sales pitch to the wife..
???
This doesn't seem to meet any of the OP's major needs. I'd recommend against the Origen AE cases if he's looking for a gaming-capable case with good cooling. These cases have old-skool (read: outdated) cooling like 80mm (and some even 60mm!?!) fans, and it'll just be like jumping from one fire to the next. I.e. a sideways move. It looks like the S10V you mentioned is exactly that--60mm fans for cooling on lollerskates, and can only take half-height expansion cards, never mind a full size 11" GPU.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
A front USB attachment is usually a cable extension, so as long as your Mobo has a spare USB3 header, ur all set. If you can't find a suitable enclosure with a front acrylic for the IR, really, behind any IR receiver is an IR LED-like sensor and all it needs is a small round hole. Got a soldering iron to do some custom mounting?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That case of yours is relatively rare and no longer made--looks pretty nice too. I'd just get a USB 3.0 extension cable(s) and run it from the back port(s) to the front. I'm sure you can easily hide the cable heads underneath or beside the case, when not in use. This will give you the convenience of having the ports up front, without having to worry about getting another case.

However if there are other needs involved (looks like this is used for gaming since you mention 11" GPU?) then an upgrade may be in order. May want to hang on to that case for another build though ;)

You are right about the Omaura TF11 case. It was cool back in the day, but they folded, and I do use USB3 these days. I had 4 hard drives and RAID in that thing. Got a little warm, but it worked. Finally upgraded the RAID HTPC to a Norco 4220 and relegated the Omaura TF11 to extender duty a few years back.

The new case will get some light gaming use. I have always used an add-on video card on my PCs.

I thought of the extension cable approach, but cases aren't all that expensive and I have too many cables already. If I had USB3 in the front it would get used. I hate to put the effort into the Omaura when it doesn't have what I want.

·
Registered
467 Posts

???
This doesn't seem to meet any of the OP's major needs. I'd recommend against the Origen AE cases if he's looking for a gaming-capable case with good cooling. These cases have old-skool (read: outdated) cooling like 80mm (and some even 60mm!?!) fans, and it'll just be like jumping from one fire to the next. I.e. a sideways move. It looks like the S10V you mentioned is exactly that--60mm fans for cooling on lollerskates, and can only take half-height expansion cards, never mind a full size 11" GPU.
I wasn't trying to meet his needs. I was just stating my preference. The s10v does have the IR window and an imon VFD which he stated he is already familiar with. And, of course, the imon can do power on. The Origen cases are all aluminum and are very good at radiating heat away from the case. So far, I only own an m10v housing an older AMD zacate mini-itx build. I don't have the CPU fan connected at all. The 60mm case fan does a fine job by itself. I also suggested the s10v because I didn't get the impression he was doing heavy gaming. Better cooling would be a good idea in that case. And it looks good. I like good looking cases. And, if he wanted something roomier, there's always the s16v. Both the s10v and the s16v have front USB3.

I will admit that I had to Google what "lollerskates" meant.

*sigh*

Maybe I am old skool.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Antec makes a 3.5" IR receiver that you could rig in a case that has a disk drive bay, or get an adapter for use with a case that has two external 5.25" ones (assuming the other will be used for an optical drive).

For the longest time I did that, and was dead set on the idea of using an IR receiver integrated into the case and used that Antec receiver.

Eventually the need for a slightly smaller case forced me into an external USB based WMC IR receiver. Its hidden pretty well, and the long cord allowed me to move it to a spot that where it is easily hit by the remote.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What happened to Lian-Li PC-c60

It looks like the Lian-Li PC-c60 covers all the bases and allows optional front panel accessories through a second 5.25" bay. Perfect for a 3.5" IR with adapter.

Nobody in the USA appears to sell them. Did something happen?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Apparently you're unaware of the FrozenCPU debacle?
Short version:
-Owner has had some struggles with addiction, etc. Started wrecking up the business. (As claimed by employees).
-Fired all employees (as claimed by employees) or they walked out (as claimed by owner).
-Website stopped fulfilling placed (and charged!) orders for a few weeks then finally submitted a statement saying they're not taking orders anymore and attempting to re-staff (this message can be still be seen on their main page, a month after it was posted).
-Lots and lots of drama on forums like OCN, etc. Pictures of allegedly owner-vandalised store/warehouse posted; pictures of being fired via post-it notes as well, lol.
-Lost a lot of respect in the community, many people vowing not to shop there again even if they do get going again.
-With the website still not taking orders, future is unknown.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Apparently you're unaware of the FrozenCPU debacle?
Short version:
-Owner has had some struggles with addiction, etc. Started wrecking up the business. (As claimed by employees).
-Fired all employees (as claimed by employees) or they walked out (as claimed by owner).
-Website stopped fulfilling placed (and charged!) orders for a few weeks then finally submitted a statement saying they're not taking orders anymore and attempting to re-staff (this message can be still be seen on their main page, a month after it was posted).
-Lots and lots of drama on forums like OCN, etc. Pictures of allegedly owner-vandalised store/warehouse posted; pictures of being fired via post-it notes as well, lol.
-Lost a lot of respect in the community, many people vowing not to shop there again even if they do get going again.
-With the website still not taking orders, future is unknown.
WOW! Yikes! When was this? I bought my case in Jan 2013, and of all the sites they had the best GD04 price.

Not that my info matters now, so thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
WOW! Yikes! When was this? I bought my case in Jan 2013, and of all the sites they had the best GD04 price.

Not that my info matters now, so thanks for posting that.
I think it all started in January of this year, or around there. It's not as necessary to warn people about it now I guess since they aren't actually taking orders/money at the moment, but yeah might want to be careful in the future if they do get going--don't go by previous reviews and experiences.

They also had one of the best selections of water cooling parts for online retailers in North America--was the go-to place for a lot of folks on OCN. Since they went down, other similar retailers have been flooded with orders; and there's difficulty in finding a lot of the parts they used to have as well, since they were the only ones to carry some parts or at least have them stocked and ready to ship.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you want to go fanless I would recommend Stream cases.

I have the FC8 Alpha which I am in the process of aquiring parts for.

Take a look, the USB 3.0 ports are on the side of the case, kind of hidden.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want to go fanless I would recommend Stream cases.

I have the FC8 Alpha which I am in the process of aquiring parts for.

That is a cool case, but I have decided I want something that accepts standard PC parts without trouble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts