AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seriously contemplating building an HTPC for myself lately, and I've run into a dilemma: I can't find a decent case.

I wanted to go for the Coolermaster ATC-610, but that costs too much, and the doors on it won't work for me anyway.

So I've been looking around, and I've decided that I need a case with 3 5.25" bays; one for a DVD-Player, and the other two to install a MatrixOrbital 20char x 4line LCD, plus mount an IRMan in there, and possibly a keypad of some sort.

The problem is, I can't find any cases in black that I can actually buy.

The Antec 780B looks promising... but NO ONE has it.

The Antec 788 looks great... but it's only in Beige (is there even a black version?).

The Compucase 7106 would be great too... but once again, only in beige.

Am I going to have to end up painting this thing myself? I'd really like to avoid doing that, if at all possible.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I had the same problems in that there was no case that met all my needs. Then I gave up on the idea of having a "pretty" case that can be left out on display, got a standard mini-tower case and put in behind a door. Made my life much easier.

Just something to consider,

Sal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the LCD's display just fits in a 5.25" bay, which is great; but the problem is that the PCB backplate is 2cm taller than a 5.25" bay (6cm, 5.25" bay is 4cm tall), and thus it requires two whole bays to fit in.

The LCD is somewhat a neccessity, because the machine will mainly be a music player, and I don't want my parents to need to turn on the TV every time they want to change music, etc.

Also, making my own case is out of the question; I really really suck at stuff like that; I'm a software guy =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a really good price;

Although it's charcoal, not black, so I'll have to repaint it, but for that price, I don't think I'll mind =)

another question: It comes with a generic 300W PSU; is it worth another $32 to get a "silent" 300W PSU? Or even a 350 or 400?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
to build a case would not be hard.. just take your time.. as the write up at the website said he took it to a local votech and had them bend the steel.. you just have to lay it out. this gives them a project.. and heck maybe you can get them to make a run of them for the school to make a little bit of money.. get the specs for a 2u case and get with maybe a moder from a local lan party group.. someone who does allot of case mods.. and ask them for help in laying it out. if you know the depth width and hight of the lcd then think about how it will all lay out. take some project paper the kind you find like poster board and get the deensions of the base.. you know the side of the power supply and the size of the mobo and drives. cit peices of poster board the same size of the devices then lay it out on a table then get the size of the base laid out. then add say 1" on each side. and then cut it out the little squares on each corner and this will give you the base. on the rear though i would leave some excess like 5" instead of cutting it off though. this will give your back plane.. what you will cut out for the ports and power.. the sides will also give you a lip to screw the top on.. now that you have the base cut out now fold the sides and front up and tape them.. fold the back up and tape it. now lay in your peices of equipment and see if all lays in nice. with a little room on each peice of equipment.. I would use popsicle sticks to give me the spacings..

now on the back plane.. you can buy plates for the ports wich you can use as a template and mark them for cut outs.. also mark the power plug.and fan.

for the front plate you can goto a home depot or like type store and buy some alum angle iron and then you can use the dremil to cut them to the right height you want to build the case.. this will give you a place to bolt the front plate on.. i would cut 4 peices.. two for front 2 for rear.

you should now know how tall the case is going to be so now you can trim the back plate to the right height. now take another peice of poster board and lay out the top with the size being the same as the base but add in the height on the left and right with 1" in depth these will all be tabs that will be bent and give a place to screw the case together.. bend and make sure all sits together.. now you have a template that will let you mark your alum plate stock and these you can give to the school as a layout for their bending.. since you need a total of 5" of height then you can make it 5" tall this would make once sweet case.. matter of fact think I might lay mine out this weekend.. and ill take pics and posta howto.. at least a how to lay out a case.. one other idea would be to buy a desktop case and make your face plate.. which could be done with alum or acrilic.. then you can either sand and paint the case the color you want.. hammerite by rustolium is the easiest to paint since it hides allot of mistakes.. just spray a base coat of what ever you want to kinda show through.. like they have a blue tint or a silver tint.. paint it black andit will be darker.. a nice navy blue looks nice also.. anyway email me if you want and maybe i can help

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i too have thought about the shuttle.. the only problem with the shuttle from what i understand is the spdif output.. other then that a great machine.. if i build my own htpc case it will be for the shuttle motherboard if the epia-m sucks.. but i am going to build my case for the carputer.. anyway I picked up the poster board the other night and laid out the case.. need to stop by walmart and pick up a cutting mat and roller cutter then ill cut the thing out and have me my case mockup.. then off to find me some sheet metal or alum.. for the carputer i wont have to worry about fitting an lcd screen or anything since it will be in the trunk.. and have a remote screen.. I will use the epia tv out and into a lcd screen.. write up to follow

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
What's the problem with SPDIF output on the shuttle??

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The spdif out comes out the front. Not really where you'd like it to be.

However, there is an spdif header on the motherboard, you can use that header to send the spdif out the back.

I wouldn't let the spdif issue keep you from getting a shuttle. However, the psu is noisy. It can be modded, but that takes work (a lot more work then routing the spdif out the back)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the power supply would just need a new fan.. some have lowered the voltage to the fan and had it work.. i have read the spdif has noise issues.. do a search on shuttle and youll read what they said.. and what corrected it..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.