AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there have been topics like this, but I did a hurried search and couldn't find any. Save me the trouble if you can...are there any HTPC cases large enough to fit an 8800gtx? Possibly in SLI?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
SilverStone LC17 and LC20M. You lose the central 3 HDD cage. SLI is no problem (for e.g. the eVGA 780i SLI board). See the picture below. The upcoming Antec Fusion Max may work too.

BTW the card size is

Height: 4.376" = 111mm (no problem)

Length: 10.5" = 267mm

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
GD02 supports only microATX that excludes SLI.

But GD02-MT looks great! And it is 'compatible with expansion card up to 11.5 inch'.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
True, but you can do hybrid crossfire or hybrid SLI using the UMA chipset along with a discrete GPU card. Not as robust as full SLI or Crossfire, but certainly improves performance over UMA graphics alone.

However, with the upcoming chipsets, discrete cards may not be needed for most HTPC applications.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
SpiderScout

If you are going to buy a new video card, you'd better wait. 9800 GX2 (released on February 14, 2008) is at least 30% faster than a 8800 Ultra/GTX.

GeForce 9800 GX2 Exclusive Pics & Specs

Java Jack

Hybrid CrossFire/SLI is good for a low-end to midrange card (e.g. HD 2400 or 8500 GT) where reasonable performance increase is seen. However performance boost is almost negligible for a high-end card as shown in the following figure:

Low power consumption mode (switch off the graphics card and use only IGP) is very good, however. It's ideal for a HTPC gaming machine.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Agreed. High end cards are good enough on their own that putting them into hybrid mode would not buy you much so why really bother.

I just think with the upcoming chipsets being able to handle 1080P, HD DVD and Blu Ray, the need for a discrete card drops off unless you are doing high end gaming in the LR.

I think it is a way to save some $$ and instead use the cash to build up other parts of your room or rig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts