Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be building a HTPC with a ati 9500 or 9600 pro and will be getting my first projector. The HTPC will be a minumum XP 2500+ cpu with gig of ram.

**I have a few questions yet and would appreciate some advice.** :D

I plan to have a DIY 52x92 screen (digital grey lite goo and Sintra board) and a L500 or Z2 but will also look into the HS20. The throw will be 11-12.5 ft and will sit 12.5 feet away with pretty good light control. I plan to have the components in a nice crawl space under stairs and will use Buffalo Imagine IR extender products (thanks for your suggestion, mdryja). I plan to make my s-video cable to the pj with 4-connector two shielded pair cable (thanks, derrick), about a 20 foot run. I will run the ati's dvi to the pj dvi, then use component or vga for the HD sat. I read a lot of back and forth on how much impact component and vga cable play in the PQ and which are acceptable.

1) Could I get opinions on good cables at reasonable price. I have already exceeded budget (please work with me on this as I know nobody else can relate) and would like to find the best balance between price and performance, I believe quite a bit in the impact that good cabling has!

2) Does component do better than vga for HD sat or vica-versa?

3) I have good quality amps that will have speaker cable runs of maybe 50 feet for the fronts and that will include the subwoofer. Again, what suggestions can you make for cable that won't strangle the signal and have good shielding for runs that far? Oh yeah, and be as reasonably priced as possible. ;)

I have HD sat, a SVHS vcr, and a laserdisc player. I would like to run the vcr, laserdisc, and non HD sat material through dscaler based on what I've read. I have heard that non HD sat is pretty unbearable on a front pj and would assume the same to then hold true for laserdisc and SVHS.

1) If I pick up the Flyvideo 2000 and put these s-video sources through it with dscaler will the end result be acceptable?

2) What should I use for remote controlled s-video switching since the Flyvideo card only offers one s-video input? Any other thoughts on how to have several sources to the Flyvideo?

3) If I set the timer on the sat and set timer in Flyvideo to record s-video input, will that work to record a tv program and would it be watchable?

4) How exactly do you convert a DVD to display at a higher resolution through HTPC and how high can you go before it looks worse? How does it look when utilized well?

5) Anyone from northeast Ohio doing this? I would love to bend your ear as I am a terrible, terrible typist. :)

I realize not all of these inquiries belong in this group, I'm just glad I was able to finally lay this down. I am so pysched about doing this! Thank you for reading this.

bedo

·
Registered
93 Posts
FWIW, I did all my cables with Pacific Custom Cable. I have not had any problems or complaints about them. Solid company. I think I bought roughly $180-$200 worth of DVI, Digital Coaxial and S-Video cables.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PeRsIaN_PiMp,

What a great name! Are you into rugs at all? I will look into Pacific, thank you for the suggestion.

I realize I am asking for quite a bit of info, please feel free to comment on *anything* from my post, please keep it coming guys!!

Thank you,

bedo

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
bedo...

The goo/sintra combo you mention is one of the best combinations for a DIY screen. Sintra has great distribution of their products across north america and is stocked in many sizes. It also has three thicknesses

There are many budget solutions for cable. For HD sat I would have stuck with a HD sat unit with DVI... as that is the best. The aforementioned projectors will also have DVI so go DVI all the way.

The argument about speaker cables... too fragile a topic and always prompts more emotion... cheapest solution that fits most every situation is 12 gauge cables.

VGA should be a step up from component.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.