AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a bit reading all the posts and have finally decided to try my hand on an HTPC.

I have a Barco Graphics 800 with RGBH/V sync inputs which is currently hooked up to a Harmon ALD-1 line doubler. The BG800 also has a 9 pin vga input on it. My line doubler also has a 9 pin vga input on it.

My question is what is the best way to hook up the HTPC. If there is no significant difference with the connections, my preference is to hook up the HTPC to the line doubler to minimize the tangle of cables running to the projector (and fishing the cables through the ceiling). This would also allow me to use the line doubler for my other sources (Desktop DVD player, LD, SVHS and Hi-8). This would also make it easier for my wife to use the HT as she is familiar with the equipment and is not too thrilled to have to use a PC to watch dvds.

Second choice would be to use the 9 pin vga input on the BG800 as I would just need to get a longer length of cable to hook up to the projector. I suppose I will need some sort of breakout box or splitter if I want to use a local monitor as well.

Last choice would be to use the RGBH/V connection on the BG800 as I would either need to get rid of the line doubler and figure out a way to hook up my other sources to the HTPC or get some sort of a splitter for the RGBH/V cables.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I`m not sure if it is possible to hook up the line doubler to the HTPC? Probably not, as the input on the HTPC video grabber card (tv-card?) probably only accept composite video or s-video.

The 9 pin D-sub on the BG-800 (port 3) is not necessarily VGA compatible. On my -92 BG-800 this card was a RGB-TTL card, which is the old EGA or CGA standard (useless). If you are lucky it is an analog RGB-card which is of the same quality as the RGBHV input (port 4/5). It is also sync polarity autodetecting, which is good if you use it with a HTPC.

Gunnar

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.