AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for best option to connect HTPC to projector. I have VGA and DVI available on the V Card. Would you recommend DVI to HDMI or VGA to VGA. Also will the V card automatically recognise the additional display? The card currently outputs via a component dongal to a Plasma TV.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use VGA to my projector. The thing you need to consider is whether or not you will need HDMI connectivity. If you "play by the rules" , you will need an HDMI connection end-to-end for Bluray playback, so if your projector supports HDMI you may want to look at a HDMI Video card. If you are going to use other means to display your HD content then VGA or DVI will work just fine.

TH

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Is this giong to be dual display (ie tv and projector) or are you eliminating the TV in favor of the projector. PC and Projector specs?

BB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be dual display. PC/Panasonic 720p Plasma TV combo in family rm used as PVR for standard content, kids movies, etc - component connection. Wife approval factor!! just a remote and MMovies. Would like to duplicate the set-up in the HT for them also. The plan is to clone the output to the 1080p (Optoma 200x).

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCrew /forum/post/16960639

It will be dual display. PC/Panasonic 720p Plasma TV combo in family rm used as PVR for standard content, kids movies, etc - component connection. Wife approval factor!! just a remote and MMovies. Would like to duplicate the set-up in the HT for them also. The plan is to clone the output to the 1080p (Optoma 200x).

If you have a 1080p projector then there is no question, you have to use HDMI. A DVI connection on a video card is the same as an HDMI; they both carry the same signal. Since your video card already has a DVI port, just get a DVI-HDMI adapter and hook it up with a HDMI cable (PJ has HDMI port?).

However, your resolutions are different, so you will have problems when you clone the displays. And I'm assuming you are not using these at the same time.

You will need to switch resolutions every time you switch between the two (not exactly wife-friendly).

What video card do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The switching issue defeats the purpose. The card is a 8500GT Sonic Dual Link DVI/TV-Out. Not sure what the dual link means? Can the HTPC be set-up via dual displays? I had a VGA hook-up with a SVGA monitor and the TV and it worked. Unlikely, that the two(TV and Proj) will ever be on together for the PC content. The proj has an additional HDMI port.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
To clarify, a projector is just like any other display pretty much, and it works the same and has the same limitations as far as dual displays go.

You can run it in a dual display config, however as with all dual display configs:

If you want both to display the same thing, this is "Clone mode" and both must be set to the same resolution.

If you want them to run at different resolutions, you must use Extended desktop, or something equivalent, though this will have different content on each.

Depending on the content, you'll probably want to either run both at 1080p or 720p. If you're using a 10' interface and not going to be using the desktop (surfing, keyboard/mouse stuff/etc), 1080p to both will probably be optimal as it will allow you to get the most out of your 1080p projector, while it should still work well on the plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/16960729

If you have a 1080p projector then there is no question, you have to use HDMI.

Why is that? AFAIK VGA can, and is allowed to to 1080p (among others) even with Blu-ray content.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Things can get weird and/or may be impossible if you have one of those older plasmas (like mine) that has a 1024x768 native resolution, rectangular pixel displays, and want to feed it 1080p. What TV is it (link please)?

Even if it is a newer plasma, it might not support certain resolutions over certain inputs and as already been mentioned you won't be able to clone two different resolutions. If you have an ATI card, you might be able to make your spouse happy with "Theater mode" on the TV but that would mean running both displays all the time.

BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts