AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to do this. I recently loaded XP and in the near future when I'm ready I want to delete my Win98 on my main C: drive. XP is on H: now. I understand that I need to keep "boot.ini" on the C: drive or XP won't boot, is that right?

If I do keep "boot.ini" in the C: drive root directory, can I then delete all other files on C: drive?

Tony

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It's been a while since I had to do that. If you already have the OS installed on C and if XP is like 2000 and NT, then keep the ntldr, boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntoskrnl.exe files on your C drive. You may also have to make changes to the boot.ini file to go change your default to point to the H drive and the folder where XP resides.

I suggest you first make a copy of the boot.ini file before you make changes and also not to delete anything until you are sure that the computer boots straight up to XP. There is also a reference in the registry that points to the last known good boot option.

Again, this is what you do for 2000 and NT. XP should not be much different. I have not used XP yet and if you don't know that much with it proceed with caution.

another way might be to just format the C: drive and install XP on the C: drive and then move whatever you want to keep from the H: drive to the c: drive and then delete all files from the h: drive.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.