AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unused desktop that I've tried to convert to an htpc use. When I play a movie located on the HD using i-tunes it stalls and skips. Below is my system configuration, I would have thought it would have been adequate for this use.

MSI KT4AV

Athlon XP 2200+ (OC to 1.92 ghz)

250 Seagate 7200rpm

1 gb sdram

GS7600 APG video

Windows Vista

51" Sony HD

I am able to access the same movie with my Vaio laptop across a wireless network and it plays perfectly. Could my cpu not be up to the task, or maybe my BIOS isn't optimized? The MB can take an Athlon 3000+, would that make much of a difference?

Suggestions are appreciated, surely this configuration just needs some tweaking!

Kelly

·
Registered
72 Posts
These new HD videos encoded with h.264 or x.264 take a lot of CPU power to decode. I have a laptop with a 2.13Ghz Pentium M (which easily surpasses P4 3.6Ghz) and CoreAVC (fastest software decoder) and it still cannot play 1080p content smoothly. A friend of mine has a Core Duo 2Ghz and that plays 1080p content pretty well and has just the integrated intel laptop video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to check that your hard disk is not in PIO mode. I repurposed an old PC and had stuttering. It turned out I didn't have the machine-specific IDE driver. Once I installed the driver, the HD went to UDMA and all was well.

Your setup should be more than powerful enough to play back a non-high-def movie. I don't use iTurnes for video so can't comment. I would try something like ZoomPlayer.

You might want to play around with ffdshow (see sticky). It is CPU intensive which may or may not be a problem with your AMD CPU. It does an amazing job of improving video quality, and is a reason that some people desire fast CPUs in their HTPCs.

You should be able to play back high-def video with a player that supports the hardware acceleration features of your video card. (Playing it back with software only player might be a problem.)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have an AMD Athlon 4800 X2 O/C'd to 2.8Ghz. I have no trouble playing 1080p quicktime movies. My video card is a 6200LE

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
^Yeah but an Athlon 64 x2 is like two generations ahead of an Athlon XP. Athlon XP is like early to mid P4 territory in terms of chronology. It's like trying to run 1080p on a P4 2.4Ghz, lol. It just ain't going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyGL /forum/post/13003841

I have an unused desktop that I've tried to convert to an htpc use. When I play a movie located on the HD using i-tunes it stalls and skips. Below is my system configuration, I would have thought it would have been adequate for this use.

MSI KT4AV

Athlon XP 2200+ (OC to 1.92 ghz)

250 Seagate 7200rpm

1 gb sdram

GS7600 APG video

Windows Vista

51" Sony HD

I am able to access the same movie with my Vaio laptop across a wireless network and it plays perfectly. Could my cpu not be up to the task, or maybe my BIOS isn't optimized? The MB can take an Athlon 3000+, would that make much of a difference?

Suggestions are appreciated, surely this configuration just needs some tweaking!

Kelly

CPU is definitely too slow for software playback of 1080p h.264. Depending on the audio content, it can get even more demanding as well.

No version of an Athlon XP is really going to help you out--you're essentially trying to run video that stresses even modern day components on hardware that is ages old, lol. 720p you might get away with, sure; but 1080p, not a chance.

You might try updating to a videocard that can do h.264 acceleration like an AGP version of an HD2600 or an AGP HD3850 (if one ever comes out). Still though you're asking for a lot because HA doesn't work with everything and in every program, the program has to support it properly which quicktime may or may not do (I'm not sure what it does).

Really you need to upgrade that whole machine to a C2D or C2Q-based computer preferrably with a hardware accelerating videocard, if you're looking at doing a lot of 1080p playback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts