AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. My 18 month old HTPC started to crash every few minutes. I did a clean re-install of VISTA Ultimate in the hope that OS has been corrupted. Here are the system details

Antec NSK2480 with 380W EarthWatts PSU

GA-MA69GM-S2H

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

Sampsung Spinpoint 500GB

AVerMedia AVerTV PCIe

Microsoft Remote

LG DVD-RW

Vista Ultimate

Encore wireless N card

Is there a way I can determine which component is causing the problem? I suspect it could be motherboard. If that is the case, what microATX mobo would you recommend? What you guys do to trouble shoot such situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Clean your BIOS, flash with the latest version. If motherboard is the problem this might fix it.

Next replace memory and test.

Check your power supply. Substitute with another one if you can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hirent. I am a novice and need little hand holding. Hope you won't mind.

How do you clean the BIOS? Do you install the directly install the latest bios, or successively install all versions? How do you check the power supply? Thanks again

·
Registered
48 Posts
You would normally just download the bios flash utility/bios from your mobo manufacturer's website and flash to the newest version. This could be dangerous if you are experiencing random crashes though, as a crash during a bios flash may render your mobo useless.

What do you mean by "crash"? Does it simply hang and you cant even use the mouse, or does it random-reboot, or blue screen, or what? I think more detail there could help pinpoint your problem for the experienced troubleshooters of this board. I would also try disconnecting everything non-essential (extra usb ports, front audio, etc) and see what happens, especially if the crash is on such short intervals because you don't have to wait long to see if it had an effect.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is random-reboot or blue screen with error message. During random reboot pc will either stuck at first post screen or after DMI data with error that boot disk could not found.

Now that you mentioned about USB ports, problem started when I tried to copy some data to external hard drive which was plugged into front USB port. It crashed and could not reboot. I have unplugged the external hard disk, but front USB ports are still connected to mobo.

For some time I suspected WD 1TB is causing the crash, as after re-installing the OS, when I connected the HD, at crashed again. System also crashed once during the installation of OS when all peripherals were removed (only Boot HD, DVD ROM, memory connected).

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If you have two memory sticks, try running on one first, then on the other. It could just be a bad stick. I had a crashing problem a few years ago that turned out to be a memory problem.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
does your bios have a diagnostics you can run?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is to update everyone. As per the suggestion of someone at Tomsharware forum, I loaded optimized defaults and unplugged all non essentials. Ran PrimeTime without problem. System did not crash for past three hours. Hopefully, it will stay stable. Thanks again for your efforts to help me. If some thing bizarre happens, I will surely seek your help.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFCommanderBob /forum/post/16920583

You would normally just download the bios flash utility/bios from your mobo manufacturer's website and flash to the newest version. This could be dangerous if you are experiencing random crashes though, as a crash during a bios flash may render your mobo useless.

What do you mean by "crash"? Does it simply hang and you cant even use the mouse, or does it random-reboot, or blue screen, or what? I think more detail there could help pinpoint your problem for the experienced troubleshooters of this board. I would also try disconnecting everything non-essential (extra usb ports, front audio, etc) and see what happens, especially if the crash is on such short intervals because you don't have to wait long to see if it had an effect.

Watch those windows based utilities. I just hosed a Biostar 780G MB using one. Everything looked fine, then right at the end, POOF! Screen went blank, power stayed on. I was hoping it was just rebooting wierd, but it is now dead as a door nail and being RMAd for a replacement.

I've had few problems with DOS based flashing and flashing from within the BIOS with utilities. But I'll not try a Windows utility again.

BT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts