AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been steadily installing my Electrohome 8500 and HTPC using the various excellent guides on this forum and have encountered a road block. Specifically, how do I set the resolution on my HTPC vs. the settings on the PJ. My screen's aspect ratio is 16:9 (this can change).

1) What shape should the rasters be (16:9, 4:3 or fill the tube as much as possible)?

2) The horizontal and vertical settings squeeze the input (vs. chop it like blanking), correct? Would the vertical setting remain the same & I would adjust the horizontal for each type of input?

3) If #2 is true, then how do I set the geometry for each type of input? (4:3, 16:9, 2.35 DVD, 1.85 DVD, etc.). (i.e. how do I know I am 'de-squeezing' an anamorphic input enough)?

I am at the point where I have a PJ with centered rasters and a HTPC with Theatertek and Powerstrip installed and working. However, I want to fully understand how the HTPC and CRT settings interact before I mount the PJ (screen can't move). This is my first setup - help!

·
Registered
375 Posts
1) I believe when you squeeze the picture to fit the 16x9 screen, you are actually squeezing the raster so you end up with a 16x9 raster. You will want to use the most raster you can. For example, for your 2.35:1, you will want to have the raster as wide as possible

2) Yes and it depends on what kind of setup you want to do. I am doing a constant area screen so that the total area of a 2.35:1, a 1.78:1 and a 4:3 all have the same area but you can also do constant height, where you have a 2.35:1 screen and squeeze horizontally for 1.78:1 and 4:3. Or you can do a constant width, as a standard television would do (letterbox).

3) the best way is to find an image like the THX optimizer or some sort of test pattern which has a geometric shape like a circle or a square that you can use to measure and make sure that the horizontal and vertical dimensions are equal. You would need one for each resolution/ratio you want to run.

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy.

What size is your screen for the constant area method? Do you use masking on your screen?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Greg, I do not use masking at the moment. I am in a rented house and want to do a fully automatic masking system that would mean too much work for a temporary setup. But it will come eventually. My screen is 96x54, which just happens to be 16x9 format.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I found the easiest method was to set up my bd808s with a single screen resolution. I used 1280x960. By doing this I get a very nice image with no visible lines and no smearing. It seems to be optimum for my projector. On 4:3 material I am using the full display, 1280x960. On 16:9 I am using 3/4's of the display or 1280x720. This happens to be the resolution I was originally using to watch 16:9. The difference is I don't have to change resolutions on the HTPC nor do I have to calibrate a number of different resolutions on the projector. One size fits all.

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
I use 1440x720 for my 8500 on a 80x45" (16:9) screen. I used Powestrip to set the resolution then squeezed the vertical size on the projector to get the desktop to fit the screen. Then you're done. Use a nice DVD playback program (like TheaterTek) that allows aspect ration control and you will only have to run one resolution on the desktop and use one recall memory on the projector.

Cary

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh... I have Theatertek so this sounds like the best method. Thanks for all the good suggestions!

·
Registered
154 Posts
go to http://www.etechvideo.com/home.htm and download the alignment program in the download section it has both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio's to help you calibrate the projector.

Laz

·
Registered
840 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with Prometheusbound....if you are going to have a 4:3 screen...I think this is the way to go. You can play any source from the HTPC...without ever adjusting any settings on the PJ or HTPC...and it will always fill the screen WIDTH.

If you are going to have a 16:9 screen then you might want to try something else.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aksor,

Thanks, that helped immensely!

·
Registered
154 Posts
No problem, and I'm glad it helped

Laz

:cool: