AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my computer continues to randomly shut off. it can go days without a problem or it can cut off for no reason multiple times in one day. i can be watching live tv, a dvd, or nothing at all and it will cut off and try to reboot. sometimes successfully reboot and sometimes it will get stuck and cut off 2 or 3 times in a row during the reboot. then it will go to a prompt for safe mode.

doing some reading online i figured that i should run a ram diagnostics test. i've run it 3 times now. the first time it went through just fine. the 2nd time i selected the extended option and it froze at 13%. i restarted the htpc and re-ran the test and now it's froze on 21%.

does this indicate bad memory? i actually hope this is the reason behind my problems because it should be an easy fix. thanks for any help.

my current setup:

CPU: Core i5-750 2.66GHz LGA1156

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master

Motherboard: MSI H57M-ED65 LGA1156 Intel H57 chipset microATX

Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit

Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce GT 430 1GB

TV Tuner: Ceton Quad CableCard

HDD: Corsair 60GB SSD

PSU: Corsair VX550W CMPSU-550VX 550W

Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may have checked already, but it's not overheating is it?

Check all the temperatures with Speedfan or CPUID just to make sure, because I had reboot problems with my Antec Fusion case - it was just too hot in there.

You have 2 x 2Gb sticks of memory--Can't you just pull each one out in turn and rerun the test? That should isolate the problem if indeed it is RAM related.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Checked your memory timings and voltage in BIOS?

Made sure they are correctly set?

Try to add one or two increments extra voltage to memory as well afterwards if it still gives trouble.

0.025-0.050 or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, i've checked for overheating and it is not.

it seems that my system won't reboot now after it's last hangup during the diagnostics test. wtf??? it's now just sticking at the windows boot logo. i'm so frustrated at this very expensive system!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Download a copy of MemTest86 and create a bootable CD from the iso image. It's the best freeware memory checker available. The latest version is 3.5a. If you have problems running 3.5a there's an option to run version 3.4 from the boot disk so give that one a try. I couldn't get 3.5a to run with my memory but it ran fine with 3.4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts